IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

This car is not a restored car, repair job on the fender, door, here and there. Faded surface on  GNose & over fenders, tail light panels too. But overall this car is a very good condition, remaining most original parts.So far  I only replaced a shift boot , and a horn pad (I put a Z432 red Z emblem version , I do not have  a blue Z version (without a trumpet,  for all the other Fairlady-Z model until summer 1973) .

Head lights are modified using relay to achive high intensity and reliable circuit wiring. I do not know I return to original or not because they are so good and bright at night.

And of course, this car is missing some original hoses , now they are later rubber looking ones which indicates this car had been took care of continuously, and I too take care of this car from now.

Note the vertical defroster line , it changed to horizontally after summer of 1973 for Fairlady-Zs. And the flasher, US model used different design already , but not in Japan.

Fuse box cover, the right blank is correct for Fairlady-Z model. If a car had equipped with a fog light, there would be a fog light switch .Nissan parts catalog has a number for this switch. However no one has ever seen the switch specifically for the cover.

Like I am always feeling , the genuine fog lights are so rare, I have never seen other car has equipped the same one with my car. Some early car have a early fog switch only, but the switch for post  Oct 1971 model is mysterious. Has anyone seen the one ?

Kats

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by kats
Add and correction

For me, Fairlady-240ZG is the first Z which I have ever seen in my life and instantly I fell in love with it.

And funny thing the first car which I saw was not a real car, it was a TAMIYA 1/12 model.

TAMIYA led me into the car world when I was a kid. No matter how a toy shop located in a small town, TAMIYA was available.  And on  top of the shelf , there were 240ZG and Safari 240Z , also Porsche 911 . 

Kids could not reach their hands so most of them ended up just dreaming about.

So I can say it is all because of TAMIYA , not Nissan !

I think most of kids had a same story like me at that time in Japan (I was 6 years old in 1975).

I had a no idea about Z432 , 240ZG was a whole thing for me. If TAMIYA made a Z432, it would be a different.

On the other hand , adults know the Z432 by reading car magazines and people who lived near the big city would visit Nissan show room and , many young people went to Fuji Speed Way to see the racing Z432-R.

I am feeling strange there is a big TAMIYA in front of me .

Kats

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

I found ZG has a splash pan too, no-hole , early type.

And the oscillator, it sits up side down! But the rally clock keeps ridiculously correct time. From the original owner's memo, the owner comprained about bad keeping time soon after he bought this car ,and the dealership replaced it with a new one.

Kats

PS : You see "H-H " written with a choke , I see this is a sign of 240ZG , HS30-H .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 2

I'm surprised those speakers aren't bad after all these years. That car has been very well taken care of. They replace that oscillator with the later quartz one?

That car uses non leaded gasoline?

What is this metal piece for?

front-metal.jpg

Edited by hr369

12 hours ago, kats said:

For me, Fairlady-240ZG is the first Z which I have ever seen in my life and instantly I fell in love with it.

And funny thing the first car which I saw was not a real car, it was a TAMIYA 1/12 model.

TAMIYA led me into the car world when I was a kid. No matter how a toy shop located in a small town, TAMIYA was available.  And on  top of the shelf , there were 240ZG and Safari 240Z , also Porsche 911 . 

Kids could not reach their hands so most of them ended up just dreaming about.

So I can say it is all because of TAMIYA , not Nissan !

I think most of kids had a same story like me at that time in Japan (I was 6 years old in 1975).

I had a no idea about Z432 , 240ZG was a whole thing for me. If TAMIYA made a Z432, it would be a different.

On the other hand , adults know the Z432 by reading car magazines and people who lived near the big city would visit Nissan show room and , many young people went to Fuji Speed Way to see the racing Z432-R.

I am feeling strange there is a big TAMIYA in front of me .

Kats

What a neat story.  I am one of those kids too except I pitched a fit and ended up with the model but my Dad wouldn't let me play with it.  He put up on the "top shelf" thank goodness or I would have destroyed it. :)

post-24724-14150829089135.jpg

DSC00915.thumb.JPG.393334b036178c5c1c1a1

• Like 3

On 2016年3月11日 at 10:04 PM, HS30-H said:

It's the ZG-specific towing bracket, as Kats pointed out previously...

Thanks Alan ,I found this in the catalog.

Kats

image.jpeg

Edited by kats

When you are going to buy a 240ZG , the most important thing is this , a regjstration certificate .

The bottom left , you see  02662   0070 ,

they are , Katashiki shitei 02662 (HS30) /  Ruibetsu kubun 0070 (ZG with 5speed, 0100 is ZG with A/T). 

Without these numbers , no car can be proved as a genuine 240ZG .

Believe or not, there are (were) so many ZG-look car in Japan. Most of them are easy to be noticed as a ZG-look . A few of them are difficult to be judged by even experienced enthusiasts without seeing the certificate . The most easiest way is use a Fairlady-240Z-L as a donor, then put 240ZG parts on it. 

If the conversion job was done so perfectly , this would be the most difficult car to be exposed (the owner will proud to show or want to hide the certificate ,either) .

We , Japanese people always think these numbers on a certificate is the most important for a 240ZG .

If you are serious about a real ZG , you do not want to buy a ZG-look without knowing .

You would rather pay for rough genuine 240ZG than very good ZG-look .

As usual, Nissan do not show the actual production number of ZG,  we guess less than 2000 cars would left from the factory .

Kats

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

On 2016年3月11日 at 8:18 PM, hr369 said:

I'm surprised those speakers aren't bad after all these years. That car has been very well taken care of. They replace that oscillator with the later quartz one?

That car uses non leaded gasoline?

What is this metal piece for?

front-metal.jpg

Hi hr369,

From the memo I think this car have the clock and oscillater replaced . Both are early type because the owner complained about it just after he bought the car.

And when Fairlady 240Z and ZG made a debut , only regular gasoline engine was available . Z432 and Fairlady Z and ZL were available both high octane and regular gasoline.

Kats

Edited by kats

2 hours ago, kats said:

Hi hr369,

From the memo I think this car have the clock and oscillated replaced . Both are early type because the owner complained it just after he bought the car.

And when Fairlady 240Z and ZG made a debut , only regular gasoline engine was available . Z432 and Fairlady Z and ZL were available both high octane and regular gasoline.

Kats

Thanks Kats, wasn't sure that was a tow hook since it was very close to the lower valance panel.  It looks like a tight fit to get a cable in there.

This unleaded fuel sticker was put on a few years after the car was sold?  or perhaps after they changed the valve seats?

Can't wait to see your 432. That museum looks very interesting. 

sticker.jpeg