IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

Hi, I would like to share this, Alan made a great post in another thread. I have always wanted people to know why our cars had been going to have a six-cylinder engine at some point in the development process. That was because of S20, Prince oriented way advanced technology for the time.

One more thing. Uemura san includes a quote of some paragraphs from Teiichi Hara's own book (recommended, BTW). Hara san was manager of the First Design Department at Nissan and Uemura san quotes Hara san because he relates a KEY stage in Nissan's Go/No Go stage of the Maru Z project. Without passing this stage, Nissan's senior management simply would not have given clearance for the engineering and styling work to proceed. What was the deciding factor?

The deciding factor was the inclusion of the road-going version of the Prince GR8 twin cam engine (the Nissan S20 two litre 24v twin cam six) as an option in the engineering and styling of the Maru Z project. Hara san described this as "A complete victory". Without it, they would not have got the go-ahead for the whole family of variants. It is a very revealing anecdote, the kind that automotive journalists and marque/model scholars set great store by.

Thanks Alan!

Kats

Edited by kats
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, kats said:

A Fairlady-Z  2/2 is now pricing double or triple of an US 240Z. Am I sad looking at those things? Maybe. But anyway I have my beautiful US 240Z which makes me so proud. 

But is that because it's LHD instead of RHD? I know in Australia there was a couple of really nice imported LHD 240z's for sale, but nobody wanted to buy them because of the LHD configuration. I personally could not care less, if I was in the market and found a clean LHD car, I'd purchase it based on rust free status. Most people won't be driving the car more than a handful of times a month. So is it really such a negative that it's LHD? I don't think so, but people are fickle and funny in their ways of thinking I find.

As for the Gnose, I think many people passing judgement haven't seen a proper 1 in person to fully appreciate it. Some things don't photograph well, for example when I first showed my wife photos of an FD3S RX-7 I was looking to buy, she was not that impressed. Then when we saw the car in person she totally changed her mind. I think the 2D vs 3D aspect is a real factor.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gav240z said:

As for the Gnose, I think many people passing judgement haven't seen a proper 1 in person to fully appreciate it. Some things don't photograph well...

Agreed, but - beyond that - 99% of the discussion around the Grande Nose of the HS30-H model seems to treat it as though it was some kind of aesthetic makeover. It misses the whole point.

Its real reason for existence was to homologate parts to which other - more extreme - parts could be hung off for race purposes. The fact that some of us (me included) find the HS30-H model attractive is probably by-the-by. It could be argued that the 240ZG was somewhat out of date in its styling, consciously or sub-consciously referencing the curves of 60s cars like the Ferrari 275 GTB when the more angular Ferrari 365 GTB had already outdated it in aerodynamic terms as well as aesthetics. 

The homologation specials which came after them for Group 4 and then Group B would look more angular and more brutal, but that in itself has its attractions.          

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gav240z said:

Most people won't be driving the car more than a handful of times a month. So is it really such a negative that it's LHD?

Over here in the UK, there seems to be "have to do this" attitude that an imported LHD has to be converted to RHD (cost/finding parts) when again, only driving the S30 a few times a month/ a 1-2000 miles a year ( and some of that likely will be on the motorway [freeway]).

Then a lot of the time the windscreen wipers aren't changed over. I think its due to higher prices for a RHD model here in the UK, but that is financial speculating rather than S30 ownership. its still a L model at the end of the day.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Its real reason for existence was to homologate parts to which other - more extreme - parts could be hung off for race purposes. The fact that some of us (me included) find the HS30-H model attractive is probably by-the-by. It could be argued that the 240ZG was somewhat out of date in its styling, consciously or sub-consciously referencing the curves of 60s cars like the Ferrari 275 GTB when the more angular Ferrari 365 GTB had already outdated it in aerodynamic terms as well as aesthetics. 

Yes, and I agree the G-nose definitely gives the car a Ferrari 275 GTB look.

• Like 1