IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

I'll chime in on impressions between Fairlady Z and 240, as my introduction was when I bought my 1975 Fairlady Z-S in Okinawa. I really got used to this car, and wanted to ship it back to the USA on completion of my tour of duty, but alas that was not to be... So I bought a US Spec 240Z almost immediately upon returning to the USA. My first impressions upon driving the US model was immediately 'something is wrong!' The car was a wallowing pig, the throttle response was numb, and the car just did not seem to accelerate like my 2-Litre Fairlady Z-S! I tuned and tuned, but nothing I did got rid of that 'wallowing disconnected pig' feel of the US car.

Eventually, I found a 3.7 gearset, and the acceleration started to pick up, and when my suspension off a 73 Fairlady Z arrived in my home baggage, I installed it and realised there was a distinct difference between Japan Market and US Market suspensions. But there was still the little things: The plastic mats in the Z-S and no jute underneath, no layers and layers of sound deadening under the mats at all in that Z-S. And the doors...oh, those 73 240Z Doors....my gawd! They weighed a TON in comparison, and compared to the tinny sound when closed on my 75 Z-S, they sounded like Caddillac Coupe DeVille portals. I reworked my 73 pretty radically, and got it the way I wanted it.

Since living back in the USA for many years now, I recently bought a 1976 Fairlady Z-S model again...EFI and those wonderful Plastic Mats. In a 2/2!

With a transplanted L28, and BONE STOCK that Fairlady Z 2/2 is a full second quicker than ANY of my 280Z Coupes! That thing cranks out consistent 15.50 quarter mile sprints, while the 280Z coupes I have run simply slog along in the mid 16's... It's a nimble car, 'numb' is a good discriptor when comparing the US and JDM models for sure.

When Frank 280ZX came over and was driving my wife's 260Z with poly bushings all 'round, he commented on it's 'wallowing' tendencies as well. And that was compared to his Eurospec 260Z 2+2.

Frankly, the USA did not finance the rest of the world's 'good bits', it's a matter of marketing. Mr. K has said many time 'Americans like to Drive their Barcalounger down the Highway' and sadly he has hit the nail on the head. The numb disconnected feel is what a LOT of the motoring public in the USA wanted in the 70's. The Caddillac Coupe DeVille was considered a 'personal motoring conveyance'...you could fit a whole African Village in the boot! In 1972 cars like the Chrysler Newport were selling like hotcakes. I remember getting sick in the back of my Uncle's Buick...seasick. "Road Barge" has apt meaning. The marketing department holds much sway, and they soften up things to a very big extent.

Ever wonder why Ford Seatbelts tend ot hang out the door and get caught when you close without checking? Consumer Feedback from manny females say the pretensioners are 'much too tight' and cause 'chafing'. Putting a lambswool piece on the belt and properly tensioning the spring costs more than simply using a weaker spring...and by the time that weaker spring starts sagging, it's out of warranty and out of mind...

I'm digressing on a rant against the US specifications, so I'll stop now. But as someone who was introduced to a JDM Z-S model, when I got my similar vintage US Spec 240, it was a sad letdown from what I was expecting.

Hi Chris

I believe that this VZ is (as per Carls registery):

VIN: HLS30 00630

Production Date: 01 / 70

Color Body /Int: Red/Black

Orig.Eng.Number:

Eng. Number:

Owner: Auto Garage Motoyama

City/State/Cntry: Japan

Sold By Z Store: Nissan Charity Auction

IZCC Member#:

Comments: Offered For Sale At $50K USD

e-mail:

Date Registered: 18 July 05

Reported by: Kats {Katsuhiko Endo} in Japan

Joseph

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Tony D,

I have read your story and appreciate that you share with us.Let me explain about OKINAWA prefecture a little bit who has no idea where it is.(maybe I don't need to..)

Okinawa is in the Pacific ocean ,south west of Japan, a large group of islands. Always summer and beautiful oceans/beaches/coral.

Returned in 1972 from the U.S. , so Nissan/Toyota etc. had sent their LHD models in Okinawa until traffic flow had changed to RHD.But not so many cars were sent their especially before 70's, Japanese car company did not have a lot of dealers in Okinawa.People did not have to buy Japanese cars,American cars were natural for them.

Tony D,did you buy 1975 Fairlady- Z as new? I am very curious:classic:

I saw some people got Japanese Z, some of them served in Japan main land like Yokosuka base,Misawa base,Iwakuni base.I can see they got RHD model because they were in main land,but how about in Okinawa?

When S30 model was released to the public in 1969, Okinawa was only prefecture in Japan where was under the control of the U.S.

My question is, was there any LHD 240Z sold in Okinawa?If it is true,how wonderful!Until 1972,was LHD 240Z really sold in Okinawa?

Oh yes,I tried once some years ago. I flew to Okinawa and visited Okinawa NISSAN in Naha city. I met a manager and asked about possibility of selling LHD 240Z in Okinawa, but he said he did not know.Seemed anyone in the dealer could not find the facts because it is too old story.

I should go out of dealers, ask people who aged 60-70 years old.

Thank you,

kats

Like Tony D's Fairlady-Z (standard model),is the lightest Z for the ordinary customer.(racing model Z432-R is the lightest, but it is not listed in the brouchure)

I heard some people made a choice buying -Z standard intentionaly,because the car is lighter than Z432(975 kilograms VS 1040 kilograms) and its 4 speed with final gear ratio 3.700 is very good for a start dash.

L20 has got only 130hp, but it could go faster than S20's 160hp sometimes.

And cheaper!!Just a half price of Z432:p

But in 1975,situations were not the same as early 1970,I think.

Hi Chris and Joseph,

Yes the red 240Z is a vintage Z program car!!Chris,is it O.K. to use your original tyre's picture in my website for "wanted" original one?

kats

Hi,

In Japan we love DATSUN COMPE steering wheel.You can see this in the safari / montecarlo rally cars.The real rally car's wheels are not exactly the same from the one which I have.Mine is a reproduction one from NISMO.

This NISMO one,every one loves this and want to have in their cockpit.You can see many this wheels are selling in Yahoo Japan auction.In 1994 NISMO's 10 years old celebrating they released 500 units first,but too many people wanted , NISMO decided add 500 units more immediately.

You all know the steering wheel has variation between export(LHD/RHD) and Japanese RHD.The attached picture,comparing these,the left is export and the right is Japanese.You can see the difference of depth of corn.

This results difference of turn signal lever "angle".We can not apply Japanese wheel to export model otherwise your fingers are always stuck on the wheel.

DATSUN COMPE (I do not know real rally car's) just same as Japanese wheel.

If export RHD 240Z wants DATSUN COMPE, you can replace turn signal lever to a Japanese one.

But for LHD 240Z,I do not think there is another lever produced from the factory.To prevent finger stucking,you need to BEND the turn signal lever away from the steering wheel.

DATSUN COMPE,the black grip is not real leather.It is made of something like rubber(urethan).

kats

P.S. We in Japan cloth-braided bidding WAR has just ended.Mr.Nishi produced reproduction of hoses.Unfortunately, only for Z432 and Skyline. I will take off my Z432's real OEM radiator hoses to replace these reproduction,perfect!!

post-3193-1415080191101_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801911274_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801911844_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801912402_thumb.jpg

Atually, one of our Group Z club members Pat Cordova is the original owner of his 1972 240Z bought and delivery accepted while he was stationed in the Army on Okinawa.

My 75 Fairlady was brought down from the mainland for the last Shaken-Sho (typical of the GI Used Car Market at the time).

Okinawa had many strange vehicles like RA22 Celicas with the JDM 18RG DOHC Engine, yet in LHD---only one of which was ever officially imported by Toyota Motor Co. USA into the USA for testing and evaluation (RA22-000005, owned by Jogi Luz at Toysport in L.A.) The only dealership in Okinawa at the time that was selling Z's (outside of Army Air Force Exchange Dealers) was Naha Prince. When I was there, you still had to go to Naha to get your Z-Parts, and the gentleman behind the counter had three fingers...very helpful and knowledgable on the S30's. Before I left, I went to Naha Prince to see the 'new' R32 GT-R that was in the showroom. None were allocated to Okinawa, and the story was the vehicle in the showroom was already sold to someone on the mainland, but had to be displayed that month before they could take delivery. The Parts department was actually across the street in the Sunny dealership.

If you want information on Z's in Okinawa during the 70's, talk to Oshiro Georgi, and Tomoyose Kuraido...both work on American Installations in the center of the island. Tomoyose's father was an American Citizen that owned a large machine shop (where the Johnny Walker Warehouse visible off Rte 58 in Naha currently is located). Tomoyose owned the only Z432 on the island at the time, and it changed hands, ending up with Oshiro who owns it to this day. Oshiro sold his Honda City Turbo II to buy the 432!

I have seen several other early Z's which were claimed to have been bought and delivered on Okinawa during that same time.

My 1970 (-ish) Fairlady Z was bought by a DOD School Teacher on the mainland, and in 1976 shipped it to Arizona when she rotated duty stations, where it resided until I purchased it in 1990.

My 1978 Fairlady 280Z was bought early...it looks to have been produced around the middle of July, and was shipped the following September...given military regulations requiring 1 year of ownership to ship the vehicle it is believed to be a one-owner car. When that owner was at Norton AFB in CA, there was eventually a problem with emissions on the vehicle, and he traded it in to a dealership for a new Z31 (1988). It got put into the back lot with the idea that the dealership would restore it for showroom floor duty...but the dealer went bankrupt, so the parts manager was given the vehicle for 'severance pay'. It sat in their back yard for 14 years... One day someone my wife works with saw her driving my 75 Fairlady Z 2/2 and said "Hey, we have one just like that!" My wife, after telling me not a month earlier "No more Z-Cars!" had the duty that evening to come in and say to me "Honey, um, do you want a Fairlady Z?" LOL

I digress...

My

Thank you Tony D,

There are LHD 240Zs sold in Okinawa, just great:love:

I must see Mr.Oshiro Georgi, and Mr.Tomoyose Kuraido.They will tell me much more about the story of 60's to 70's.

kats

P.S. Attached pictures are Comparison of a lever angle.

And what do you think of this fuse for ? This is only for Z432.

And Z432's spare tyre holder,this part can be seen and is illustrated in the parts catalog.

post-3193-14150801915271_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801915771_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801916218_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801916769_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801917329_thumb.jpg

Thaks for the info, Joseph! If memory serves me correctly, it sold at auction for $35 - Monterey?

I think the fuse is for the 8-track player / radio, Kats. Nice steering wheel. I think the 260 Z import had a wheel like that. I have one in very poor condition.

Hi Kats

Those copy radiator hoses look beautiful; any plans for Mr Nishi to remake them for the S30?

The bottom radiator hose for the 432 looks the same as the S30, does it not? I am sure there would be a large market for the copy hoses, but will it take away from the "specialness" of cars like Kats and Bob Speights 72?

Joseph

And what do you think of this fuse for ? This is only for Z432.

Hi Kats:

That fuse and fuse holder are most likey for the electric fuel pump. Note same wire colors etc.

See thread: Fuel Pump Wiring - Post #11 (picture below)

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27902&highlight=Electric+Fuel+Pump+Fuse

FWIW,

Carl B.

post-3609-14150801920543_thumb.jpeg