IGNORED

Scuff plates - steel or aluminium?

240znz

This thread is about the internal SCUFF plate. This thread has nothing to do with the external KICK plate which has the DATSUN logo embossed.

In the recent thread by Astrohog http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=25416 there were some views traded but I moved this discussion here so as not to continue to hijack that thread.

My HS30 has a build date of 12/70. It came to me with aluminium scuff plates fitted. I am not the orginal owner.

Courtesy Nissan has emailed me confirming that the scuff plates they list http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...Code=76942-S30 are made of steel.

So this raises a few questions regarding my scuff plates that I am curious to expand further in an effort to find out where they came from. So if you can shed some light, I'd appreciate it. I'm not loosing sleep, just curious.

Either:

1. My car came with steel plates but has had them changed out to aluminium ones by the PO.

2. Did low VIN 240z's in either RH or LH drive guise come out with aluminium scuff plates from the factory?

3. Did 260z's or 280z's come out with aluminium plates?

I'll be ordering a set of the plates that Courtesy Nissan lists as MSA nor BD can match the price. Why their prices are so inflated is anyones guess. Maybe theirs are made out of aluminium:tapemouth ? That's why they are more expensive????? :tapemouth :tapemouth :tapemouth

So if you have a low VIN S30 of any variant, or have some ideas and can shed some light, please help a curious Kiwi out.

Are you talking the black vinyl-clad piece that covers the door sill?

Yup, that's the scuff plate. Mine is just plain old polished aluminium and with the above posts confirming that early HLS30 models came in vinyl covered steel, it makes me think that mine are aftermarket or off a different car.

I've asked the same question on a HS30 forum and I'll update here accordingly.

240ZnZ,

Thanks for your input and raising this interesting question! What caught my attention was your build date. My build date is 12/70 (HLS30 16896). Just curious, what is your vin# ? (Did I just Hijack your NEW non-hijack thread??)

hehe

Regards,

Astrohog

240ZnZ,

Thanks for your input and raising this interesting question! What caught my attention was your build date. My build date is 12/70 (HLS30 16896). Just curious, what is your vin# ? (Did I just Hijack your NEW non-hijack thread??)

hehe

Regards,

Astrohog

You're welcome, I just didn't seem right to raid your thread. I have HS30-00352. You'll note that the L is missing meaning that it a right hand drive model. This just goes to show how few RHD models were released into the market when compared to LHD of the same build date.

MikeW,

I'll post a pic of it tonight if I can find them buried somewhere in the mess that goes with bare shell resto's (these cars sure have a lot of parts)

You're welcome, I just didn't seem right to raid your thread. I have HS30-00352. You'll note that the L is missing meaning that it a right hand drive model. This just goes to show how few RHD models were released into the market when compared to LHD of the same build date.

MikeW,

So, did they manufacture the HS and HLS side-by-side in the same factory?

They sure seemed to crank 'em out (especially after 1970!!)

Astrohog

For 2 simple turns on a steel sheet, It's too bad some one from here does'nt make a shitload of them and dip them in a plastic solution of some sort and sell them to any one who wants them on this site.

I figure that a complete encapsolation of black plastic would stop them from rusting any time soon. The adhesive used by Nissan is what caused the rust problems in the first place.

Unfortunately, My WIFE won't let me start on another project until the harness's, ZX plugs, switch services, and tail light upgrades have dwindled down to nothing. Not to mention the engine harness as well as dash and body harness's project that I've barely even started on.

Any one up for making these. Sorry, just me throwing ideas out there again. That's one of my major flaws, I think too much for my own damn good.:stupid:

Dave.