IGNORED

Serial Number Suffixes

sakijo

I was going to tag this on to the original post, but decided to start a new thread instead of muddying up the original thread about the QLD Kenmeri.

Alan posted a chart showing the C10 serial number sequences. The sequences intrigued me because there were several suffixes that I had not noticed before.

On the KPGC10, there are two series listed, KPGC10T and KPGC10TN. The "T" designation calls for the use of high octane gasoline, while the "TN" designation calls for the use of regular gasoline. Since ALL GT-Rs came with the S20 engine, why do you suppose there would be a series designated to run on regular gasoline? Was there a low power variant made that could be run on regular gasoline?

I can understand the GC10 designation of "T" and "TN;" the GT with the single carburator running on regular gasoline and the GTX with twin carburetors needing high octane gasoline.

Any answers, insights, guesses???

On the KPGC10, there are two series listed, KPGC10T and KPGC10TN. The "T" designation calls for the use of high octane gasoline, while the "TN" designation calls for the use of regular gasoline. Since ALL GT-Rs came with the S20 engine, why do you suppose there would be a series designated to run on regular gasoline? Was there a low power variant made that could be run on regular gasoline?

Miles,

Nissan made the option of a 'Regular' gasoline version S20 engine available as some of the more rural regions of Japan had filling stations that didn't always supply 'High Oc.' fuel.

These S20 engines had different pistons ( for lower compression ) and different distributors ( with a different advance curve ). Lower compression Fairlady Z432 models were also supplied ( the 'PS30-N' model ) with the same parts and specs. Compression ratio was reduced to 9:1 ( from 9.5:1 ) and power dropped by 5ps.

In practice, very few of these low compression models were sold as the take-up was negligible. Those that did get sold tended to get converted to the 'normal' higher comp specs at their first rebuild ( as High Octane fuel soon became more widely available ), and I believe almost no examples of original 'TN' C10 GT-Rs or 'N' PS30s exist in factory spec today.

Alan T.