IGNORED

Spring & Strut Packages

lonetreesteve

How can you get a set of "struts" for $350 when one single strut goes for $350 - $650? Are you people sure you're talking about the right part?

this is what i bought from Motorsportsdirect, thinking they were a division of MSA but not so. $322 with free shipping i had to take a chance, since my money was tight, and i still had so much more to deal with, as in all new brake system, and clutch slave and master yet to pay for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...93552307QQrdZ1

I have the Tokico red springs and Illumina (adjustable) struts on my '73. I can confirm that only the fronts are progressive rate. The rears are linear. The ride is definitely firm, even with the Illumina's set on their softest setting. Actually, it's the front that's quite stiff. I drive on the street with the rears set on 3 (on a 5 scale) and the fronts on 1.

I've noticed that nobody is discussing their anti-roll bars here. The bigger your bars, the stiffer your effective spring rate (at least for single wheel impacts). I'm running with the MSA 1" front, 7/8" rear. After my last day at the track, I'm thinking I may drop to a 7/8" front bar as I had more understeer than I liked. I even ran with as much as 6 psi less air in the rears. Of course, this is compounded by the LSD in the back.

My point is that the handling and ride quality of the Z is determined by many factors - springs and struts are just part of the bigger picture.

And going back to the beginning of this thread, that sure looks like a good deal to me Lonetreesteve! I paid $500 for my set (springs and struts) and was happy to get that deal.

There must be a reason why most dealers selling the Tokico #HPK251 kit specify the application as being 240Z 70-73. Possibly, to avoid the very problem sleepyzzz has now? I'm guessing, the springs in this kit will be too soft for a 74 2+2 even if the strut inserts can be used, because of the increased weight. The reason I offered my springs to JeffG78 for testing was to find the rates to compare with his on his 78 280Z. Both his and mine have the same part numbers but are distictly different parts. As far as the original question on the price of the Tokicos and comparison with other combos, I think the price is great if you get the desired results. I have no first hand experience with any combo and have never even driven my Z yet. I am only relying on the feedback from others. I don't think I will even use the Tokico kit unless I rattle my teeth out with the setup that came with the car. That's another thread.

after five or six phone calls back to Ray @ tokico, (i bet he was getting tired of that) we deternined that the front of my car was the early production model wuth the smaller strut towers, like in the 240z and my rear struts were of the later model 260 and 280z. and again, i asked for the longer spacers to get my height correct on the rear struts and he wouldn't ship those to me. he did say that i could swap my rear struts out and get the correct ones.

so, i called Motorsports Direct and they are having my rear struts and springs picked up, and as soon as they are notified with an email to verify this by the shipper, new rear struts and springs out of the HP253 kit (with the longer struts having a 3 1/4" spacer, and larger springs, i forget the actual numbers of each) will be shipped out no charge. the only thing i didn't care for was that i was paying frieght both ways, on the return and replacement of correct parts.

now it gets worse. upon checking our front strut towers, getting them ready for assembly since we had all of the rear problems worked out, we found two different sizes on the front. not having the history of the car, but knowing that it had been in a wreck,i figured the previous owner either replaced the torn up strut with the smaller strut tower, because it is in alot better shape than the other side. if so, then that would mean i needed the entire HP 253 kit all along. so we are still scratching our heads, trying to figure out what to do,as i doubt that i will find a donor car around here with a good pair of matching front struts. the larger front strut tower, which is same size diameter as the rears, looks really bad, all rusty and pitted. so if i could get a right front strut tower from a 240 or early 260 then all would be ok.

worse case, i can always clean this one up and go back with it until i can run something down. Ray at tokico is sending me the 52mm gland nut i need to run the strut in that tower. what a mess, but we have to get this back on the ground as my mechanic is not happy with me having my car tie his shop up and no parts to work with.

Using the Eibach springs you have to look verty carefully to have them installed correctly. I had the top end downside and when the car had a jump across a railway the rear spring bended and crashed into the strut house. I sent pictures to Eibach and they explained that I had installed the springs upside down. Unfortunately I can't remember how to find out, I think there is a dot on the spring and I think at the front it was different to the rear. Can't look at the car as I've sold it, sorry, I can only say "be careful".

Rolf

The struts of the early Z were different to those of the later Z. I think Datsun changed the dimensions '75.

The diameter of the early strut is 51 mm, the later has 55mm, so the gland nuts have to be different, too. The distance between the spring seat and the strut's top end is 14 cm for the early z and 13 for the younger ones, so the length of the springs is differen, too. The offset of the brake discs is also different, so take care. I had to learn that lesson the hard way with my front suspension. Either you change everything to the younger components or the elder version, but a mixture will need a lot of skills and work.

By the way, at the rear the spacers are important ... see my post ahead!

sleepyzzz - Glad to hear you've got a handle on the problem. I think your best bet is to go with the complete HP253 kit, which is made to work together. You don't want to mix and match and compound your problem. It can't be that hard to find a set of the larger strut towers. Too bad your getting pressure from your mechanic though. Can't blame him for needing the floor space. Good Luck & keep us posted.

Sleepyzzz - If you do (and you should), use the HPK253 kit make a note of the part numbers and physical dimensions of the strut inserts & springs to compare with the HPK251 kit. Hopefully, it will help someone in the future when this situation comes up again. Also, the Ebay seller of the kits should change his application claim to 240Z 70-73 for the HPK251 kit, or at least specify early 74 260Z two seater only.

sleepyzzz - Glad to hear you've got a handle on the problem. I think your best bet is to go with the complete HP253 kit, which is made to work together. You don't want to mix and match and compound your problem. It can't be that hard to find a set of the larger strut towers. Too bad your getting pressure from your mechanic though. Can't blame him for needing the floor space. Good Luck & keep us posted.

you wouldn't have a pair of those strut towers laying around would you? i haven't turned any up around here. sad to say, but when scrap iron got so high, most of the old stuff was hauled off and crushed. i know of one yard that had 6 or 7 later model zx cars, and all of them are gone now.

you wouldn't have a pair of those strut towers laying around would you? i haven't turned any up around here. sad to say, but when scrap iron got so high, most of the old stuff was hauled off and crushed. i know of one yard that had 6 or 7 later model zx cars, and all of them are gone now.

No sorry. There is nothing left locally here either. Everything has to be shipped when I find what I need. I'm looking for a lower rad support myself and all my inquiries locally have failed. I didn't realize it was the same in your neck of the woods. Try posting in the Classifieds, one of our members might be able to help. What else have you found out about putting your car back in order?