IGNORED

240Z Header Recommendation

jmark

I was looking at MSA's header that was listed on ebay(a new marking idea that MSA has), anyway...it said that the header is "not for automatics" can anyone tell me why? I am just curious.

The automatic tranny is wider than the manual and the header hits the side of the valve body where the transmission oil pan bolts on. The header will not bolt up flush to the cylinder head because of this.

Trust me, I know for a fact. Tried it on the 72 that I gave to Bill Ramsey (fun in my z).

Chris A.

The automatic tranny is wider than the manual and the header hits the side of the valve body where the transmission oil pan bolts on. The header will not bolt up flush to the cylinder head because of this.

Trust me, I know for a fact. Tried it on the 72 that I gave to Bill Ramsey (fun in my z).

Chris A.

I understand......my friend gave me a really killer JDM header....but I guess I may not be able to use it. Not all headers are designed the same so maybe it may work.

I understand......my friend gave me a really killer JDM header....but I guess I may not be able to use it. Not all headers are designed the same so maybe it may work.

So true my friend. I could have taken the header to a muffler shop and had things bent and tweaked to fit around the tranny. But in the end it wasnt worth it. The header was old and the car (L28 w/SU's) ran great with stock exhaust.

You'll just have to bite the bullet and try and fit it into your car. I'm guessing

you have an auto-tranny then?

Regards,

Chris A.

So true my friend. I could have taken the header to a muffler shop and had things bent and tweaked to fit around the tranny. But in the end it wasnt worth it. The header was old and the car (L28 w/SU's) ran great with stock exhaust.

You'll just have to bite the bullet and try and fit it into your car. I'm guessing

Regards,

Chris A.

Yup auto with a broken stud in the exhaust manifold. The header actually cost me a used Coor's Neon light. My friend who game me the header will be the one that will help me install it. This one might be worth tweaking to make it work.

Regards,

Chris A.

Yup auto with a broken stud in the exhaust manifold. The header actually cost me a used Coor's Neon light. My friend who game me the header will be the one that will help me install it. This one might be worth tweaking to make it work.

You got a great deal. That is less than the cost of the coating on it. That header will last for decades. If it was a square port it would have gone for a lot more. Glad it worked out for someone here.
If it had been a square port I would have been bidding. Glad to see a board member got it.

Yep. I was counting on the fact that most people are looking for square port headers and would pass this one up, but I still expected to pay more. I was actually quite surprised when I saw the final bid. Sometimes it just works out that way. This will go perfect with my soon to be ported P79 head. I'm a very happy camper to say the least. I'll be even happier when it arrives at my doorstep. :D

Yep. I was counting on the fact that most people are looking for square port headers and would pass this one up, but I still expected to pay more. I was actually quite surprised when I saw the final bid. Sometimes it just works out that way. This will go perfect with my soon to be ported P79 head. I'm a very happy camper to say the least. I'll be even happier when it arrives at my doorstep. :D
Let us know how the header works out.

You may want to e-mail Jock Rhodes.

jock@billsdatsun.com

He has a header that is good for a stock L24, at least that is what I've heard. He is knowledgable and you may want to talk to him. I don't know the price. All I have seen is painted, but I'm sure he or you can get it coated. I personally prefer the ceramic coatings. They have been very resilient.

I see Jock has his headers for sell on Ebay now.