IGNORED

240Z Parts Variations

hls30.com

Chris,

I went through the June '74 issue USA & Canada S30 Parts catalog and looked for part numbers for the items in question. What I found, I listed and tried to identify relative to the vatiations of the part I pictured or knew about. I can be wrong-but I had to start somewhere. Some parts have changes with no change to the part number-probably the supplier changed the part and Nissan didn't notice, or Nissan required a change and simply didn't bother changing the part number(the Heater Control Panel vent/Seat belt hooks) The parts I am most interested in have variation with no additional part numbers, but I just want to show the changes in parts '69-73.

There are a ton of parts that fall into this-Once again, I had to start somewhere, so as I get time, I grab one of my boxes of parts and sort through it for pieces that obviously work in this thread(it also helps me get all of my versions of a part in one place-though I do store NOS parts differently than restorable/restored parts)

At some point I want to create a relational database to store actual pictures of the parts with their factory identifiers and our common names for them and other pertinant details-hence another use of the final results of this thread!

I think it may be easier to establish a first use of the parts time frame as I believe if Nissan forgot about a box of parts and found them later after that part had changed, they put the old part right in the line since it had been paid for-meaning on occassion parts were not used in first in first out order.

Will

........As a result, there are HLS30 European and HLS30 United States (and it is from that U you used that I'm deriving that bit of information). But I'm deriving information that may have been garbled in my attempt at understanding it.

Enrique,

Be careful about that 'U' suffix and what it denotes, as it can be misleading. Most importantly, note that it does not stand for 'USA'.......

The plain ( no suffix ) 'HLS30' was the "European" market version of the '240Z' according to Nissan factory documentation - although it has to be said that the term "European" covered quite a lot of different territories and I know for sure that some of these differed slightly in spec as sold by the dealers.......

Also note that the 'HS30-U' was an RHD Export '240Z' according to the same Nissan factory documentation.

Nissan's factory workshop manual for the UK market '260Z' model shows that the letter U suffix obviously changed meaning at some point when applied to the different models. The manual says that the letter 'U' now meant "RHD". Confusing, isn't it?

A suggestion has been made to Sticky the thread.

Do you want this entire thread "stickied"? or would you like a new thread with a Welcome annoucement?

Zedrally,

I think it was me that made the suggestion of a 'sticky' - but I was referring to the VIN suffixes and prefixes ( model variation ) subject rather than Will's original thread subject. I'd be happy to have a go at compiling the list of model variants that Enrique requested, but I'd prefer to stick to the RHD versions. Somebody else would have to take responsibility for the LHD versions in case I don't have all the necessary data on them. Any LHD volunteers out there?

Will,

Great thread subject! ( sorry to have diverted it somewhat ) and I think it certainly could do with being made more permanent, and probably should have its own web page.........

Sounds like it has the potential to be your great Unfinished ( unfinishable! ) Symphony....... :-)

Alan T.

Will,

Great thread subject! ( sorry to have diverted it somewhat ) and I think it certainly could do with being made more permanent, and probably should have its own web page.........

Sounds like it has the potential to be your great Unfinished ( unfinishable! ) Symphony....... :-)

Alan T.

Alan,

As you and a few others may have guessed, I started this thread and its subsequent (though not alterior) purpose with a few PMs last August...now if only I wasn't tone deaf...

Will

Enrique,

snip

Zedrally,

I think it was me that made the suggestion of a 'sticky' - but I was referring to the VIN suffixes and prefixes ( model variation ) subject rather than Will's original thread subject. I'd be happy to have a go at compiling the list of model variants that Enrique requested, but I'd prefer to stick to the RHD versions. Somebody else would have to take responsibility for the LHD versions in case I don't have all the necessary data on them. Any LHD volunteers out there?

Will,

Alan T.

Alan, if you create the RHD list, I can stickie it in the History Forum.

That should create enough interest in someone moving on the LHD side.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Will:

Sorry to join the thread so late... holidays and all ... and thanks for the help. Actually we have a group of peope working on the Judging Manual. Needless to say this is a multi-year project.

Related to Part Numbers

At Your Post #1 & #22

Map lamp assembly

26430-E4100 (Series I cars)

26430-E8200 (Series II cars)

Your Post #23

Center air outlet grille

68834-E8200 (Series I cars)

68834-E4100 (Series II cars)

Your Post #28

Comp-switch Hazard Warning 25910- E4600 (Series I - no words on knob)

Comp-switch Hazard Warning 25910- E8300 (Series II - flash on knob) -- this is when they added the additional tail lights to the circuit and made wiring changes to the Light Switch and fuse box

Comp-switch Hazard Warning 25910- E8800 up to 06/72

Comp-switch Hazard Warning 25910- N3300 07/72 up to 07/73 (green pull knob?)

Knob -Switch Hazard Warning 29215-N3300 7/72 - 7/73 (I think this is the Green pull knob of the 73 Model year???) Earlier knob/levers... came only on the complete switch assembly.

The tail lights themselves were also changed with the Series II cars.

Rear turn signal unit - this was said to increase the life of the hazard switch.

26550-E4600 (3 light Series I) 1 Tail light and 1 Brake Light + reverse light

26555-E4600

26550-E4601 (4 light Series II) 2 Tail lights and 1 Brake Light + reverse light

26555-E4601

25410-E4600 Fuse Block (Series I) up to 12/70

25410-E8300 Fuse Block (Series II) from 01/71

25410-E8800 Fuse Block (72 &73 up to 07/73)

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl,

Thanks for the PNs, I have been trying to find things to picture, and I thought sitting at the parts catalog would be, the easier part(multiple pieces on the same page) The fact that you found some that I didn't (68834-E8200 is the only grill listed on my '74 USA/Canda parts book.). Means I am going to have to dig into te club CD, and FAST to get good info.

I hope at least a few things in this thread will be helpful, but if I am off base, or can change what I am doing to help, please let me know-no need to do all of this work and not put in a form that could help other inprocess projects covering essentially the same material.

AS I look for things to picture, I am also "culling the heard" at the same time; pulling out the used parts that I have exact NOS replacements for, and trying to get all of the used like parts together in the same box.

I have well over a hundred NOS parts, and and I want to find out what pieces I have that are actually for a '72-one day I will do a low vin car, and I want to save the older NOS parts for it.

Will

OPB: Carl Beck

Your Post #23

Center air outlet grille

68834-E8200 (Series I cars)

68834-E4100 (Series II cars)

Hi Carl, I was just wondering if maybe you got these two part #'s accidently switched? Weren't the E4100's usually the earlier numbers?

Will - Do you have a side by side comparison picture of the two different D hubcaps? If not, I have both sets. Rummaged through a lot of stuff tonight, found some forgotten treasure. When I bought my 240Z, the previous owner loaded up my truck and trailer with a lot of spare parts, some NOS, some for a fairladyZ he parted out long ago (even a NOS fairlady grill that hasn't been out of the box). I have not gotten around to looking it all over good yet.

Will - Do you have a side by side comparison picture of the two different D hubcaps? If not, I have both sets. Rummaged through a lot of stuff tonight, found some forgotten treasure. When I bought my 240Z, the previous owner loaded up my truck and trailer with a lot of spare parts, some NOS, some for a fairladyZ he parted out long ago (even a NOS fairlady grill that hasn't been out of the box). I have not gotten around to looking it all over good yet.

Ron,

One thing I do not have is any D hubcaps! TALK ABOUT SALT IN THE WOUND-JK!

If some of your parts need a new home(or just a Vacation and a mud pack spa (molds made) visit in sunny south Georgia, I have a perfect spot in the company of some of the parts I have pictured, a complete Series one nos console, and complete dash(all NOS)

Will

Will - The Fairlady grill is absolutely pristine. I removed it carefully from the box to photograph. Been in the box several decades. It would make for a great file photo to compare with the other next to impossible to find R version. I really have no other use for it. I did post a pic in my gallery but will do it again with a white background. The color is interesting in contrast to the D caps. I will photograph the caps as well but they are not pristine. Hope to go through some more parts soon. I never gave any of these parts any thought because I already have virtualy everthing needed for this project. How about head photos? I have E31's E30's... Now...that dash & console you mentioned, let me know if they get in your way. Ive got room .