IGNORED

What did you do this weekend ?

Noddle

I did this other day,

I was doing some high RPM pulls (7K running 15PSI) tuning my Megasquirt II and pop,

I though it was a manifold gasket, till I pulled it apart, and saw the head gasket hanging out the side of the block..

Nigel

I bet you said "DAMN!" or "BLAST!" when you discovered that little gem Nige!

I bet you said "DAMN!" or "BLAST!" when you discovered that little gem Nige!

I think the words were a little stronger than that :-)

I think I may have caused the issue,

I had also changed the spool time on my turbo (on this run) so it came on stronger at lower rpm ( the turbo has a 15psi actuator that I fitted a external spring, so it would open at lower psi, 7ish, but still hit 15psi at 5.5K and up, but this run, I released the spring tension so it hit 15psi at about 3.5k), any way it came on strong, second to third and pop..

live and learn, my first head gasket ever..

anyway when the weather clears up (I live in Tassie, and got no garage) I'll replace the head gasket. I need to find some more engines and build something up that will last a bit longer ( head work, arp bolts, etc, )

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Got it all back together and it's running very nicely,

I'm still tunning, fuel and spark, had a little 'pinging' at high RPMs so I wound the spark back to about 18 degrees at 7K, 200kpa (15ish PSI).

the EGT is very nice, and super fast (expose tip),

Nigel

post-12467-14150808150561_thumb.jpg

post-12467-14150808151022_thumb.jpg

post-12467-14150808151211_thumb.jpg

post-12467-14150808151723_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I cut the 5 floor replacement 18 GA steel pieces I need to fix the five rust holes in my floorboard. I may need one on the bottom back part of the driver's side frame rail though. Not sure how to weld something on the bottom with a MIG without getting burned. Might try fiberglassing that small 2X2 inch area to avoid that.