IGNORED

240Z racing a Z06 Vette

24OZ

OH MAN!!!! LOL

I don't know if Greg Dupree has a green 240Z, but that certianately wasn't the blue "screamin" 280Z he had at the 2002 Convention last month.

Whoever owns that car, sure taugth the Z06 driver a lesson in humility!

(Now if I can just figure out how to afford an RB26DET for my 240.....:classic: )

As a road racer, I was exicted to see this and I've evaluated the footage several times...

The Z clearly is prepped quite well and judging by the lines, driven superbly right on the edge of limit. You can see how it drifts through the corners and seems to skate - a beautiful sight!

Now, not taking anything away from the Z, the corvette was driven under its limit. The lines are not as clean as the Z and you can hear the short shifts. Corvettes will usually climb up a Z's rear down a straight. However, the Z will always perform better in the corners as trying to get the heavy Corvette to slow down and lumber through is quite a handfull.

It is gratifying to see a 30 year old car woop up on newer and faster more powerful cars.

Go-Z-Racer-Go

• 2 months later...

Have you guys seen the video clip of the 280z with the blown LT4 vette engine in it...Its damn sweet, shows the engine off for a while, then shows the car doing about 50 or so down the road, downshifting and white smokeing and fishtailing leave 2 very thick lines of rubber as far as he stood on the gas. That video was what made me eventually want to get a z car...Its very inspiering...LOL

The LT1 240Z: I believe it has close to 600hp in it. I'm suprised at how small the corvette engines are. They are alot more efficient than I had previously thought. In those videos he has trouble gaining traction. You can see him shift through the gears and just try to get traction. Here some of us are trying to lose traction and he has a hard time gaining it. He also owns a Hayabusa, another amazing vehicle.

Yeah, I just checked again and it was a 240 not a 280.

I am talking to a local guy about doing something like that to my datsun next year...His latest car is an 89 Conquest TSI. He pulled the original 4 banger turbo motor and built and dropped in a Mopar 402 stroker engine into it. I'm looking at the possibility of him putting either a 340 or a 402 (360 stroker) into my car. He said it could be done, about as much work as his, but its possible. He did his for around $5,000, not including the cost of buying the car though. Runs a 9.61 1/4 mile while pulling the wheels off the ground atleast 7 inches. On street tires however my car can whoop his butt brutally, he just can't hook up for nothin...

Not sure if this has already been seen or not.

But here's a video clip of a seriously modded 240Z on the track, where its clearly outrunning the competition! :classic:

Is it me... or does the guy in the car (with the camera) kinda suck at driving? It must be that big arse heavy car.

PS: Hopefully that video isn't someone from this site. :stupid: If so, sorry about the comment. Must be the car. hahah

• 2 weeks later...

>Mike,

That's exactly the point I was trying to make... a little more subtle though :classic:

>Datzun76

For a light car like the Z, ArmStrong power steering will give you a much better feel for the track and what the car is doing... or is about to do over true power steering.

Racing is all in the feel... it is amazing how subtle the inputs through a solid-coupled steering column can be. Much of that would be lost when you introduce a buffer like power steering -- at least on a road race car. I can see how a heavy NASCAR stocker could benefit from power steering -- mainly to fight fatigue -- but we all know circle track isn't true racing :D (no need to flame here.. I'm just kidding).

The feel is also a reason why racing shoes have a very thin soft sole -- so you can feel the pedals.