IGNORED

Dash Repair Process/Pictures

BD240Z

• 3 months later...

This thread is awesome - I found it years ago and finally got around to doing my 1980 ZX dash. I used the same SEM products mentioned in the original page of this thread and they've worked great. I ended up doing the textture coat twice though, and NOT knocking it down - knocking it down showed too many blemishes and, hey, it's different now ;)

Tracking down some replacement center gauge bezels right now, as mine's tabs cracked when I removed them - after that, it's in with the dash - I'm really liking it and will post photos once in the car (plus the "before" photos). This took me a long time but with patience anyone can do it!

• 4 weeks later...

I am glad to have found this site, and thread. I don't have a Z car, but am in the process of doing a ground up resto/mod of a 1970 Falcon. My dash pad is huge, and has plenty of damage. Just got off the phone earlier today with Just Dashes, and got an estimate of $950-$1000 plus shipping both ways. After a big gulp, I started to do some searching and found this thread. Sure glad I did, and will try this method in the very near future as well.

Thanks,

Otto...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm new to the forum. In fact, this is my first post. My wife and I inherited her grandfather's 1974 260Z several years after he passed away. Unfortunately, in the interim it was parked behind his barn with the windows partially down and the hood up thanks to my wife's cousin. To say it's a mess would be a gross understatement. The dash, in particular, is in very sorry shape. The car had a half dash cap installed on it but the cap had a large crack in it on the driver's side. Upon removing the dash cap I found a badly cracked/worn original dash. This thread has been VERY informative in planning my dashboard's restoration, but like some I had questions as to the suitablility of the Duplicolor truck bed liner material for use in this application. The results posted so far of applying the truck bed coating to dashboards looks good. In fact, it seems to good to be true. Therefore, I have decided to do a little research on this material. I bought a can of Duplicolor truck bed coating and I have already prepared one sample of it on the surface of a cardboard folder. I plan to test the material for: flexibility/resiliency, heat resistance, UV resistance, abrasion resistance, ease of cleaning/detailing, and solvent resistance. I'm attaching pictures of my dash and of the material sample. I'll update everyone and include pictures as I test the material.<br>post-26681-14150818227678_thumb.jpg

post-26681-14150818227042_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm also a newbie and first want to thank for all of you helping me unknowingly. But with all your help my Lady become as pretty as when she was delivered.

So after restoring my steering wheel I will start with the dash. My question now is, which is the best structure spray. Which one will match the original structure best. In this thread are just tested the SEM's texture coating and the Duplicolor. Has anyone tested another? Are here quit accidentally some germans who knows an equivalent to the tested one's. I know we can buy the Duplicolor in Germany as well.

Thanks, Kristian

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is definitely one of my favorite threads. My dash could definitely use this repair, as I have no interest in a cap. I think I'll look into that low expansion foam for the dash and possibly a similar method with epoxy to repair my center console. Fantastic stuff guys! When I get around to it, I'll give it a try and post pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering how some of these repairs look 6 years down the road. I've used this sem repair system before on rubber bumpers and

have had some bubbling problems due to lack of adhesion around the edges where it's feathered and very thin.

fiberglass over the whole top of the dash seems to me to be the most durable. but... gawd that must stink up the car inside for

a really long time.

What's the verdict? anyone around that made their repair 6 yrs ago?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-15087-14150821126464_thumb.jpg

Well, I finally got around to trying the dash repair process and I couldn't be happier. I followed the proceedure outlined in the thread with the exception of using the SEM Flexible Polyester Glaze. I also substituted the SEM Texture Coating #39853 with SEM Heavy Duty Chip Guard #39793. It had a little better texture I thought. I turned out great.

post-15087-14150821123345_thumb.jpg

post-15087-14150821124055_thumb.jpg

post-15087-14150821124655_thumb.jpg

post-15087-14150821125256_thumb.jpg

post-15087-14150821125852_thumb.jpg

• Like 1