IGNORED

Sandblasting the K

240kconvertible

• 1 month later...

So all we need to do is get 12 people willing to buy a case of wild turkey each. I'd love a carbon fibre bonnet but will still drop my ratshit rusted bonnet off this week to get stripped along with the doors and boot lid. Can't really see us all getting this together in time.

Engineers are booked in for mid Feb and the shell is nearly ready so that photo of the R230 in a 240k should be coming shortly Kent. If the engineer puts me off again to work on some cobra I'm going to cry.

If anyone is upset about their neighbours making noise over christmas please direct your complaints at me, I turned two linked compressors on Christmas eve and Boxing day. When I heard one of my neighbours start playing bagpipes on Christmas day I nearly turned them on then too. Yes I'm sick in the head working an a Datto during Christmas but I just can't help it.

I've attached photos of what's been done so far, they pretty much speak for themselves.

post-9623-14150799314743_thumb.jpg

post-9623-1415079931535_thumb.jpg

post-9623-14150799315958_thumb.jpg

post-9623-14150799316567_thumb.jpg

post-9623-14150799317296_thumb.jpg

post-9623-14150799318_thumb.jpg

post-9623-14150799318936_thumb.jpg

post-9623-14150799320007_thumb.jpg

post-9623-1415079932097_thumb.jpg

post-9623-14150799321924_thumb.jpg

And some more, thought I'd include a shot of my Bugatti badge, they are making the worlds fastest car, even if it is just a quad turbo'd VW W12

My friends call the vert the "Por car" now, as I've ended up doing everything in Por 15. Rust be damned.

I can't describe how horrible it was using heat guns in the middle of a nice hot summer day to strip the sound deadening from the floor pan, take my advice do it in winter!

post-9623-14150799322981_thumb.jpg

post-9623-1415079932384_thumb.jpg

post-9623-14150799324525_thumb.jpg

post-9623-14150799325607_thumb.jpg

that is certainly an interesting way to get to the underbody.. i am struggling with having to do that myself (remove all the underbody sealer).. i was looking at somehow making a rotisserie, but i don't really have the space or skills, plus i can't be arsed stripping the whole subframe at once..

what did you lift the car with?

it certainly looks good! i have just about stripped my whole car too (with the exception of 1/2 the engine bay, and the underside), marine washed and metal ready'd it, next weekend it is time to start POR'ing the first coat.

i think i am going to have to use a twisted wire brush to get my underbody coat off, i am pretty sure it is of the rubber type, so heat won't really help get it off (so i have heard)

i certainly wish i had as much space as you have.. that would make things 1000x easier.. oh well.. bit by bit i will get it done.

I don't know what's going on with the photos but 80% of the time they don't show up as the little thumbnail they come up as a minus sign and a few of them are always missing. I can see that there is an attachment on the thread but sometimes I can't access it or see it.

Sometimes I post one photo and I can't see it straght away. It can't be my internet speed as it's 1500kb/s and It's been happening the whole time. When I can see the photos as little thumbnails it's all working fine but then 5 min later. . . . . drives me crazy.

For some reason I can't upload photos anymore they start to upload and then crash just as they should appear. It comes up with the windows diagonistic page which says all connections are fine, I'm not very computer savy unless it's an online first person shoot em up so I have no idea.

Pm me your email address Kent and I'll send out some shots of the modifications made to make it a vert or you can come and check the car yourself if you can be bothered driving to Maroubra. I have posted some shots on "attacked by rust" third thread. the only strengething done to the dash area was at the bottom of the A pillar with some plates being added. It's had two chasssis rails welded in then attached by a plate to the front engine bay rails and more plates to the rear.

The heat gun won't do anything to the underneath except waste time but will get the sheets of deadening from the inside off fine enough, heat an area up then let cool off a little then you can just peel it off in big sections.

We did an EH pano bottom with wire brushes while on floor trolleys it was horrible, make sure you get an old set of skiing goggles as they won't fog up as your working (took a while to work this out) all other types are a waste of time as $^!# goes in your eyes and you can't see what's happening. We did a bit of stripping the other day and the brushes that go into a drill with the red brush head (not steel and from bunnings), they seemed to work quite well and last a fair while. You can't beat the wire brushes though, get a few different sizes and drop the IRS, lift the car up with an engine hoist then chock up with bits of wood or steel bars (don't let any photos of you under it get onto the internet lest you end up in funny photos in the back of Street Machine) keep the hoist attached. Do the rear of the car one day then lift up the front and do the front half of the car. Make sure you have someone to help you as it's going to be a massive job by hand. We used chain and a home made massive A frame for the front and rope as seen in the photo for the rear.

The farm you can see is my friends up in Newcastle, your right you can't beat the space or good mates when restoring a car. One of the photos shows the rear of the car hoisted up, in the back ground you can see the sand blasting equipment.

• 4 weeks later...

Manage attachments opens a pop up window. I'm thinking that maybe your browser has a pop-up blocker on it, and maybe an ad-blocker to, and that might be why the images are not showing in the threads.

Most of them have an allow pop-ups from site etc. you just have to add this website to the allowed list - if thats your problem.

If you are using IE, try using Firefox.