IGNORED

Found a 240 in the junk yard!!

JeffMopar

I stopped at a local bone yard looking for a couple things for a friends project and lucked out. While looking around in the yard I found a 240Z tucked away in the back corner surrounded by bigger cars. you couldnt see it unless you climbed over the car next to it. Looks like it has been sitting there since 1985. It looks pretty complete except for the seats and shift knob. The original SUs and intake with air cleaner are in the back and the engine has a 4 barrel intake with a Holly on it. Im going back today to see if I can get the whole car. Cant really see the underside so I am going to assume it is totally rotted away. They also had a 280Z and a 280ZX.

I just got back from the yard!! I got the original manifolds and carbs still attatched, the Holley and intake off the engine, (it is a "Bob Sharp Racing" manifold) a bunch of little trim pieces and parts and the original air cleaner and heat shield for $50. I have to go back tomorrow to get more, including the original exhaust manifold which is odd. I figured it would have headers with the 4-barrel carb.

I forgot to take a camera but will take it with me tomorrow. The build date is 7/71 and the serial is HLS30-36350. It has a vertical defogger in the back and 63358 miles on the Odometer. That is probably about right since it has been parked over 20 years. I see normal rust in the battery box area and bottom of the front fenders but I cant see underneath or even get to the front seats due to it being so close to other cars. I had to crawl in through the hatch to check the glovebox and storage compartments. The only thing I can see missing is the passenger door glass and cover. See the attached pic for most of what I got today. He wont sell the whole car but said nobody has even looked at it in over 10 years so I can take what I want fairly cheap!!

post-3372-14150798717826_thumb.jpg

Sounds cool! A year ago my dad and I bought yellow 260z that had been sitting on the ground in a field without the tires on it for many years for $100. We used it as a parts car for my 280z, took some nice parts off of it like the ac unit and and then scraped the car. The car had way to much rust and was damaged in the front so it would have taken a whole lot of work to fix up.

Take everything you can off this car. Oftentimes they cannot sell you the entire car once it is in the junkyard, but you can scavange all kinds of early parts from suspension to driveline to body panels and glass and you definitely should.

I found a complete 71 in a junkyard and talked them into selling the whole car. I got it for 300 bucks which I thought was pretty good considering he might have made more selling it in pieces. I got a lot of spares out of that car plus decent hardware. The worse part was that the winshield and dash was excellent the first time I looked at it and offered to buy it, but when i got back to it the next week someone had thrown a tire thru the window and ruined the dash.

So hurry and get what you can especially those precious tailights!

Jeff,

What about original wheels?. Are the ORIGINAL keys there? if so, get the locks as well. What's the interior rear plastic panels like?. Blokes in this club are often asking for them. Original radio, auto antena, wiper motor, choke lever, console switches, steering wheel, badges ...... the list is endless.

Half your luck mate.

Rick.

:devious: :devious: