IGNORED

What are the most impressive modifications?

hls30.com

What are the most impressive modifications to a Z  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most impressive modifications to a Z

• 1) Outrageous body work - hardly looks like a Z
    • 2) Outrageous paint - just how many colors?
    • 3) Subdued but modified bodywork
    • 4) Subdued but non - factory Paint
    • 5) Flawless paint and body work
    • 6) Fully Detailed engine swap - anything but an original series block
    • 7) Fully Detailed Block Swap - original block series
    • 8) Mechanical (other than engine) upgrades
    • 9) Serious Stereo install
    • 10) Full Custom interior
    • 11) Partial Custom interior
    • 12) Records, brochures, history
    • 13) Chrome, powdercoating, carbon fiber
    • 14) How much work the owner actually did
    • 15) Fit, finsh, and cleanliness of the entire car

Gosh, it's really hard to say.

I think it depends more on

1. what are/were the owners intentions?

and

2. how close was/is the final result?

Personally, I think that engine swaps, done very well, are interesting just for the complexity of the job. While some engines will just drop in, others require modification and fabrication.

Heck, from what I've read, even same series engine swapping can cause nightmares, so installing something different has got to be a real test of mettle.

I like this one, myself, and had I the money, talent, and tools, I would be so tempted...

post-11908-14150798663955_thumb.jpg

I went for the last 2 choices. I can't stand people who just hand over their credit card and say 'make it happen', and its the overall packages fit finish and cleanliness. I can appreciate a perfectly stock restored 240z as much as a blown 350 with a great stereo setup, as long as they both are done correctly.

Do it yourself is important, but modifications that make a difference in the way the car handles is what floats my boat. I guess I have sympathy for those that can't do it themselves, since for a LOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNGGGGG time I had things that I really wanted to make but didn't have the time or tools or materials to make them. Plus I would not find it terribly impressive if someone made their own blingy chrome hood ornament. I'd rather see a really nice suspension modification that does something, even if its not on display for everyone to see all the time, and if you made it yourself, all the better.

I am a sucker for a nice set of fender flares, ZG bolt ons or the blend in type (street flares), not a big fan of the IMSA kits though. Of course a very nice set of wheels and tires under them and a suspension to match is required too. something like the AZC control arms and coilovers with a set of Watanabe type R's with a deep dish but no streached tires, I like function too.

I think serious suspension and drivetrain modification done well and with purpose really gets me going. A 4-link live axle conversion, or like Jmortensen's million way adjustable sway bar and rear control arm setup. Also, tasteful interior and exterior mods are nice too. I wish I knew how to work with composites, so I could make good looking (and good working) aero components.

For my own cars, for my own driving, I'm not much into radical mods. But I can really appreciate well executed modifications, especially those that serve a real purpose. I've never been much for mods that are appearance-only, that don't really make the cars better.

Hey that's pretty cool! Thanks for the mention veritech.

No problem, Jon. (that was supposed to be the part where you were all like "I think camo paint jobs are pretty awesome" so I could then post pictures of my car without feeling like a showoff, but its cool...:classic: )