IGNORED

'71 rear hatch strut

astrohog

Hi All!

I just did a search for this and all I came up with was a thread from 2003 that pretty much said "good luck finding a single hatch strut"

I have tried a strut from a 280Z that had two struts, and of course, it was not strong enough.

My single strut is not strong enough to hold the hatch up and I really would like a new one.

I am hoping that between 2003 and now that there is a source for these.

Anybody point me in the right direction?

Regards,

Jeff

I've seen used ones on eBay go for as much as $80 or so. I actually have two good ones - one on my car, and one still on the parts car. Both hold their hatches open nicely. I haven't decided if I dare sell the extra one, as soon as I do the other one will probably fail.

I purchased a replacement strut on ebay last year for my 71Z It did not have exactly the same type of Datsun mounting brackets, but bolted up correctly and works just great. It was not a datsun part, but a replacement. I paid $35 and it works perfectly. I am trying to figure out how to find the seller for you from ebay, but it appears from the ebay site that I can't go back that far. I'll keep looking and see if I can find the seller

I don't know, so I'll ask the question. Does the 240Zs only have one strut? I would think that some other strut from another car would work if it were the correct length and diameter. Just a thought.
Yeah, at least the early 240Zs have only one. There are no holes or captive nuts on the right side where the second one went on the 280Zs. Interestingly though, even my Series 1 hatch has a recess stamped in the hatch sheet metal where a second one would attach.

I purchased a replacement strut on ebay last year for my 71Z It did not have exactly the same type of Datsun mounting brackets, but bolted up correctly and works just great. It was not a datsun part, but a replacement. I paid $35 and it works perfectly. I am trying to figure out how to find the seller for you from ebay, but it appears from the ebay site that I can't go back that far. I'll keep looking and see if I can find the seller

Look through the feedback that you two exchanged this would be the only way you will find who you bought it from unless you have your old emails from the transaction. eBay only keeps closed auctions in their system for 90 days.

I bought one a couple years ago from Schucks auto parts and it still works well. The length is correct but one end has a threaded stud that is larger that the hole in the mounting bracket, so I drilled the hole larger. This is the only new strut I could find that will work on the 240Z as a replacement for the single strut. Other than the difference in the mounting stud it does look the same as the stock one.

Tail Gate strut

Dorman # C072-430 (Schucks) $19.99

Mighty Lift # 95019 (from Autozone) $15.99

The actual application for this strut is.

200SX Hatch 1980-83 C072-430

Celica Hatch 1982-85 C072-430

Corolla Sta. Wagon w/o Rear Wiper Hatch 1979-83 C072-430

I can't get any info from ebay on my prior transaction, too old.

Napa sells the following:

Hatchback Lift Support

Item#: BK 8194147

Price: $28.41

My replacement was not purchased from them, but this apears to be about the same. Rather than having the mounting plates/brackets that the original datsun strut had, mine came with a stud that screwed into one of the mounting holes, one in the body, the other the hatch, then the strut snapped in place over the ball joints at each mounting point. Now, whether this will cause undue stress to the area where the ball stud screws in is another thing entirely because it does not have the force applied over the original flat bracket, just uses one of the existing two mounting bracket holes. But, so far so good.

OK I retrieved the old memory. The strut was purchased from Rockauto.com.

description:

AC DELCO PART 510702

Strut, L/Gate,Silver,Air Lift (#88985428) Price: $20.99 which is one heck of alot better than MSA proce of $140. It comes with the mounting studs.