IGNORED

Difference between 280z and 280zx

whew41

This is a 280Z.

The 280ZX is larger, heavier, loaded with more emmissions controls and electrics, and is more of a comfort cruiser rather than a sports GT. Of course, the 240Z guys could say the same for the 280Z.

Same 2.8L I6 with FI. All manuals were equipped with 5-speeds, whereas not all 280Z manauls were. The 280ZX was the first factory turbocharged option, as well as the first Z car with t-tops.

post-9429-14150797798023_thumb.jpg

The difference between the 280Z and 280ZX is that they share nothing except powertrain components. In essesnce, it's about like asking what the difference is between a 78 Mustang II and a 79 Mustang.

Steve is correct. Powertrain parts swap into the older Z's but the ZX has a very 510-like suspension setup with steering box and tie rods behind the struts, TC rods attach up at the radiator core support IIRC, and semi-trailing arm suspension in back.

.................The 280ZX is larger, heavier...................

We discussed this before. I, too, used to believe this but it's not really true. Without quoting actual figures since that's already been done ad nauseum in other threads here, a 280ZX is only marginally heavier than a 280Z.

One thing different is the engine. all the 280s have dished pistons and the ZXs have flat topped pistons if not a turbo. The casting of the ZX block is supposedly stronger due to a casting change . The XZ engine was the last development of the L-6 engine. They still have low compression , stock . Congratulations on the "new" Z you will find her to be a fine car and a pleasure to drive. Gary

Thank you some much for the input. I am enjoyiong the car so far and it is indeed a difference from my last ride, which was a 65 Mustang GT Fastback. Prior to that I had a 1969 Z28.