IGNORED

Early 240Z wheels and hubcaps

Arne

Hey folks - some advice please. It looks like I have a line on a set of 'D' hubcaps and matching early 4.5" stock wheels for a reasonable price. I really don't anticipate ever using them on my car, but since they are the proper vintage, should I get them just to have in case? Given that my car will not be all original ever again, and the original engine is long gone, should I bother? What do you all think?

That's kinda what I'm thinking, although I don't have a lot of room to store them. Too many other Z parts scattered all about the house and garage. But the price is pretty good, so I'll probably get them anyway, even if I decide to resell them for parts money right away.

I would, Arne. D hubcaps in restorable condition are worth $75 each and wheels are worth around $25 each. It will cost over $1,000 to restore a set of hubcaps making them quite valuable in perfect condition. Wheels, as you know, probably depend on the date stamp for value. I might recommend buying anything that would be appropriate for an early car. It's a collector thing, Arne, but you are a collector and connoisseur of the Z. You can't go wrong.

Arnie,

Were these advertised on "craigslist" recently?

I ran across an ad there for a set that had been removed when new and stored in the attic. As I remember the asking pice was extremely reasonable.

A few days later I tried to resurrect the ad but was unable to find it.

Anyway, buy them, as many have said they are worth setting aside for sure, even if you don't intend to use them on your car.

Jim D.

"Zup"

Arnie,

Were these advertised on "craigslist" recently?

I ran across an ad there for a set that had been removed when new and stored in the attic. As I remember the asking pice was extremely reasonable.

A few days later I tried to resurrect the ad but was unable to find it.

Anyway, buy them, as many have said they are worth setting aside for sure, even if you don't intend to use them on your car.

Jim D.

"Zup"

I saw that set too, but didn't pursue them. The ones I'm looking at are not that set.

Arne: I am keeping my 'D' hubcaps and original wheels. I also have the numbers correct engine and tranny and diff. I may rebuild all of them and put my Z back into it's original configuration. Maybe after I have some fun! Maybe not... At least I have all of the stuff to make the car a numbers correct '71 240Z. I understand your reasoning. Go for it!

Great find Arnie!

I spoke with Ken----real nice fella.

I don't think he had much of a clue as to what they were currently worth to a Z lover.

Let's just say that you drew an Ace! :classic:

Jim D.

"Zup"

I don't think he had much of a clue as to what they were currently worth to a Z lover.

Let's just say that you drew an Ace.

Yeah, I suspect that is true. I almost feel guilty about it, although I gave him his asking price without haggling. I got them today. And I did get a great deal. They are way better than I expected. The wheels and hubcaps came off the same car, apparently when it was basically brand new. There is a touch of brake dust on the back sides of a couple of the rims, but none on the backs of the hubcaps - the backs are pretty much pristine! The whole lot came of a mid year '71, the wheels are date stamped 4-71, and the hubcaps are the later style 'D' type with continuous small rim clips. The wheels all still have original Japanese metric wheel weights clipped on.

The bad news? Something corrosive was spilled on some of the parts at some time in the past. The face of one rim has a bunch of rust, as well as the rear bead area of another. (The other two are near mint.) Luckily, the corrosive stuff only barely got on any of the hubcaps. One has a quarter-sized spot on the back side of some of the rim clips, that just barely wraps to the outer edge of the cap. Another has a smaller spot on the rim clip area too. There are a few small chips in the gray paint on the faces, and the 'D' on one or two isn't as pristine as the others.

But all in all, they're way better than I expected - maybe too good to use on a daily driver. I've got to decide what my end goal is here.

Pictures soon, if anyone wants to see 'em...