IGNORED

Electric fan or new fan clutch/shroud for my 240z?

Jayru

The important thing for installing  a flex fan would be to know the correct length of the spacer and the correct diameter.  Auto parts stores are NO help;  they ( their computerized parts systems) only have parts (original or compatible OE replacements) for new cars, not "old" cars, and they don't recommend putting compatible parts on cars, even if you know it will work.  I couldn't get an ignition coil condensor for a 1969 Camaro or 1967 Mustang.  I was told to contact the manufacturer or visit the car dealer.  

Can  you balance the space or the fan?

Edited by TomoHawk

• 2 years later...

Car has a 160 degree thermostat, original plastic blade fan clutch and champion 3 row radiator. Still struggling with percolation during stop and go traffic in Panama. I have been advised to install electric fans with thermoswitch to tackle this. Will this be the final and concrete solution to my problem?

Will this be the final and concrete solution to your problem? No one here has a crystal ball as far as know and if they did they'd be looking for that unrusted barn find Z that most of us know is out there somewhere.

The shrouded fan(s) would seem to be the best solution, IMO, but but there has been some discussion at HybridZ lately about upgrading the alternator when using double fans.

• Like 2

If I was you I'd buy an infared no contact thermometer and check the temperature of different areas of your car. I do not think you have percolation issues with the fuel. I do not think heat is causing your ill running car. It gets hot where I live too and my car runs fine. Did you ever get a coolant temperature with it idling and the thermostat open?

You could get readings from the carbs, the cylinder head and the block, the coil, radiator etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07WZXK6PT/ref=sspa_mw_detail_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwp13NParams

Screenshot_20220105-163232_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

Shrouded fans?? I read in other forums about Spal fans? Can you point out which model and setup

That shows my ignorance about electric fans. I've never dealt with them. Members here may have recommendations or check out the discussions over at HybridZ for advice. The only time I had an issue with overheating was solved by re-coring the rad and adding another row. When my fan clutch froze up I replaced it with a flex fan. Never a problem after that.

He's got a California Datsun motor and that guy rips off his next door neighbors so I'm going out on a limb here but selling something to a guy in Panama is awfully suspect to me. I've been on here for at least 10 years and Alex has always had problems with his car.

He had found an experienced Datsun mechanic 6 months ago maybe? but apparently that relationship was short.

I'm carrying on a 3rd person conversation here because he doesn't do what we say that could help HIM. 

Anyway, God helps those who help themselves so maybe prayer is our or way of helping?

Edited by siteunseen
  • Agree 2