cloudbaseracer

What do Original 240Z Wheels Look Like?

Appliance, Western, Shelby, Anson, and Cragar were large companies in the USA that manufactured wheels (including 5-slots sized for 240z's) IN the USA, mostly in CA, which was where the the aftermarket wheel industy was centered for a variety of reasons back in the 70's. There may have been others that I don't know of.

I'll take Alan at his word since I know nothing of Japans wheel production capabilities. However, in the decade of the 70's, the USA (also?) became an aluminum wheel producing powerhouse.

The above mentioned companies had manufacturing plants in Southern CA, and in addition to their own brands, could be contracted to produce private label wheels for retailers such as "Wholesale Distributors" or "WD" which was a large chain of Tire/Wheel/Speed Equipment Stores throughout the West Coast (USA).

Huh?! I'll have to get my slots out and have a look.

Thanks, Alan for jumping in on the KS wheels. I didn't want this wheel thing to stay confined to the American shores (much less Southern California) without at least some mention of what was actually available.

I have that R&T issue. I'll have to go have a look.

Learn something new every day! A friend of mine said he found some "Z" hub centers that fit on the D cap. Check this out. The catalog indicates that the D center excludes Europe. Do you have Ds or Zs over there, Alan?

40300-E4400 Assy-Road Wheel- 5Jx14

40300-E4600 Assy-Road Wheel- 5-1/2Jx14 (steel) Optional

Oh BTW, where is the background for that KS wheel advertisement?

post-4148-14150797244063_thumb.jpg

Learn something new every day! A friend of mine said he found some "Z" hub centers that fit on the D cap. Check this out. The catalog indicates that the D center excludes Europe. Do you have Ds or Zs over there, Alan?

The situation is a little confusing when it comes to what Nissan called "Europe", and what it called "Exc. Europe" ( which covered the UK market cars ). Both "D" and "Z" emblems were used. See the page scans attached below for descriptions, applcations and part numbers:

Oh BTW, where is the background for that KS wheel advertisement?

No idea. Could it possibly be the huge gash in the earth caused by the mining of ore to make all the Kobe Seiko wheels? I'm just glad you never asked me about the model and her silver jumpsuit.........

post-2116-14150797244368_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150797244941_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150797245347_thumb.jpg

No need to ask about the silver jump suit. I just sent her an e-mail and asked her out. I was just thinking the landscape had a California feel to it. The optional wheel lists as E4200 compared to my version E4600. Huh!

While I have the book handy, here's a scan of the Japanese domestic parts catalogue page that depicts the 432 Mag, the steel wheel, and the hubcap for the Fairlady Z-L.

Part numbers:

*40300-E4100 arse'Y WHEEL, road

*40315-E4105 arse'Y COVER, road wheel

*40300-E4200 arse'Y WHEEL, ( magnesium )

post-2116-14150797245715_thumb.jpg

I was just thinking the landscape had a California feel to it.

Ha! There must be a secret subtext there. I'll have to try and dig out a few Japanese wheel advertisements that have cherry blossoms and Samurai warriors on them to even up the balance now.

The optional wheel lists as E4200 compared to my version E4600. Huh!

E42 'Part Type' usually means 432/PZ-specific........

Proves what we keep saying about "looking at the whole family in order to understand each family member"....... :)

Alan T.

There is a 5.5"x14" Road Wheel- Aluminium listed in the Parts Catalog as:

40300-N3225 with a drawing of an aluminium wheel, but that drawing shows cars up through 78...

40300-N3225 & 40300-N3226 were listed in the Japanese-market parts catalogues for the later cars.

This wheel was also used on some Export market cars; we first saw them here in the UK on the later RS30 '260Z' model.

Scans from Japanese-market parts catalogues and the tenth edition of Nissan's 'Service Shuho' booklets for the S30-series Z are attached below. The 'Service Shuho' page scan illustrating the hubcaps also shows the rather neat 'Nissan'-branded locking wheel nuts:

post-2116-14150797246163_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150797246714_thumb.jpg

post-2116-1415079724739_thumb.jpg

Now that's why I was curious about the "Road wheel-aluminum" that Carl mentioned. The 40300-N3225/26 looks like the same wheel (40300-N3200) used in the US on the 260/280Z. Those are the ones on my car. I'd love to get my hands on a set of those locks.

The 40300-N3225/26 looks like the same wheel (40300-N3200) used in the US on the 260/280Z. Those are the ones on my car.

Hi Stephen,

I wonder why the part numbers are different? It would seem that the part numbers I quoted from the Japanese parts list are later ( or at least a higher number ) than your wheels. Is there a detail difference do you think?

The Nissan 'Service Shuho' booklet where I first see these wheels introduced to the Japanese market is dated July 1976, so I'm wondering if they were introduced earlier elsewhere?

I'd love to get my hands on a set of those locks.

I've never even seen a set in the metal. Must be pretty rare I'd guess.

Alan T.

I didn't realize this was some sort of mystery wheel. I call these "Iron Cross" wheels. 40300-N3225 and N3227

post-4148-14150797247928_thumb.jpg

I was bidding on this magazine on ebay but it went a bit rich for me especially since it was in US dollars and not AUD.

Anyway pictured is two 432 Zeds.

post-1316-14150797248404_thumb.jpg

I didn't realize this was some sort of mystery wheel. I call these "Iron Cross" wheels. 40300-N3225 and N3227

Isn't the "Iron Cross" wheel a different design altogether? ( it actually looks like a German / Maltese cross ). I thought that first came on the S130-series?

Yes, This one is the Iron Cross ZX wheel

guides_79280z.jpg

ROFL Reminds me of the ebay.com.au auction in which someone was selling a set of these that had been painted red, and the seller swore black and blue that they were standard on the 240z, even though people had sent him messages that they were from a 280zx. He even went as far to say that if you had seen a 280zx these wheels would look too small on in it as its a big car:stupid:

Anybody else think the Iron Cross wheels design was inspired by the wheels on the 216X concept car?

post-1278-14150797252066_thumb.jpg

Mr. Badmood is struggling today. I said; "I call these..." Thank you for posting a wheel that you call by the same name. Very interesting. Actually, the wheel in question as well as the S130 wheel doesn't have a name other than "road wheel". So there! I'm still correct!

All you had to do was look at my avitar. Chris, I've always heard of the S130 wheels referred to as "Iron Cross". I've never heard of the wheels on my car referred to as that although some people wrongly refer to them as "Black Pearl" wheels. Alan, I don't know why the US number would be different. I believe that the became an option here in 1974 when the US 260Z was introduced. As far as I can tell, they are the same wheels. Similar situation with the wheels on my 810. In the US they're 40300-U8925 and in Australia they are 40300-R4671.....same wheel.

Yea, the S130 wheels are much more "iron cross" than the "Black Pearl" wheels. I have heard them called that also. Whatever they are, they are pretty.

Now, That's something we agree on :)

I think the "BP"'s would look even better with the round disc in the background cut out. Of, course, It may hurt the wheel strength.

This is a pic of the rims on my 1970 240z. I think they might have been dealer add on's but I have seen pics of 3 other datsun 240z's online with the same rims.

They are all aluminum rims.

pictures below:

post-29230-14150823972531_thumb.jpg

This one is mine:

post-29230-14150823997158_thumb.jpg

post-29230-14150823972008_thumb.jpg

post-29230-14150823972338_thumb.jpg

This is a pic of the rims on my 1970 240z. I think they might have been dealer add on's but I have seen pics of 3 other datsun 240z's online with the same rims.

They are all aluminum rims.

Those are Minilites or copies thereof.

All US 240Zs came with steel wheels+wheel covers from the factory. Yours are aftermarket, whether dealer add-on or not.

Thanks for the info LeonV.

It turns out they are original aluminum Minilites of the 1970's era. I did some research and discovered they also made them in Magnesium. The problem with the Magnesium rims is that they increasingly become brittle over time. They are also susceptible to lighting on fire due to heat. I am glad mine are the aluminum rims.

Hold on, let's get this straightened up before it gets out of hand. The picture that you posted is of a Kobe Seiko 'Maglloy' wheel - which Kobe Seiko manufactured and sold to the general public as their own design from the mid 1970s. This was essentially the same pattern that they manufactured for Nissan ( used as standard equipment on the Fairlady Z432 ) but with some small detail alterations and some added lettering to differentiate it from the OEM Nissan items.

Kobe Seiko made a number of different wheel designs for Nissan to use on the S30-series Z:

*Original 432 wheel. Cast magnesium. Fixing points for a small centre cap. Also quoted as an 'Option' part for the S30 Fairlady Z-L and S30-S Fairlady Z. Manufacturing date was stamped onto each wheel, as magnesium was recognised as having a limited life expectancy for safe road use. Usually painted dull gunmetal colour.

( Chief Designer Yoshihiko Matsuo wanted all models of the S30-series Z to have 4-spoke alloy wheels, but this was overruled for reasons of cost - so only the 432 got them in the end ).

*Works 'Rally Mag' wheel. Cast magnesium. No centre cap fixing points, and 'vented' spoke castings. Manufactured in 6jj x 14 and ( more commonly used ) 7jj x 14. No manufacturing date stamps. Never sold to the general public, and supplied only to Nissan for their 'Works' rally cars. Usually painted dull gunmetal colour.

And then in the mid to late 1970s, after the above wheels were no longer being made for Nissan, Kobe Seiko dusted off the original design and made some modifications. They sold these wheels as:

*Kobe Seiko 'Maglloy' wheel. Cast magnesium ( some also later manufactured in aluminium ) and fully tested / licensed for use on road cars. Clip-on centre caps. Usually painted silver.

Private restoration companies have in the past recreated both the '432' mag and the Works 'Rally Mag' in limited editions ( made from aluminium for longer life ). These pop up from time to time to confuse matters - but the fact that they are aluminium and not magnesium usually indicates their status as replicas.

See pictures below for illustrations of the above three 'types' of Kobe Seiko wheel.

Trivia department: Kobe Seiko were active during the Pacific War years, and manufactured all sorts of castings and forging for the Japanese military. One of their specialities was wheel manufacture, and they made many of the magnesium wheels for Japanese army and navy aircraft - including those on the legendary Mitsubishi A6 'Zero Sen' fighter..........

Alan T.

Hi!

I'm doing some research to return to my 240Z the original wheels used in Portugal market! I have done some research and I've found that there are some variations to the original. So, I present the following photos:

Photo 1: Originals, just missing the "D" center, 14x5,5 (I believe); magnesium. Used in Z432, too.

2nd Photo: Used in competition, rallies, with more openings in the rim, without center (14x7); lighter than the original, magnesium, very rare

3rd and 4th Photo: Very similar to the competition ones, with no center, but without the additional openings (I saw a picture of these wheels on a Bluebird 610 Rally Car, is it possible); what kind of material will be? Used in the 240Z's?

This 3rd photo is that is causing me doubts. What wheels are these? Anyone know?

I ask for help to experts!

Thanks in advance.

post-29853-14150828804218_thumb.jpg

post-29853-14150828803066_thumb.jpg

post-29853-14150828803577_thumb.jpg

post-29853-14150828803875_thumb.jpg

I have a set of nisson wheels that came with my 1970 240z with dirt racing tires on them. I think they are magnesium and have the codes 40300 n3200, fz1, nissan and ju (i think) 5 1/2 - J x 14 15 stenciled on. I can send pic via email. Any info appreciated. Clayton