IGNORED

Now taking orders - 240Z to 280ZX alternator adapters!

Arne

Arne,

My money order is being mailed today. As I have searched for a replacement alternator, I have found much the same as Sean240Z - 60 amps available but not 70 amps. For practical purposes, how significant is this difference in amperage? Also, what was the output of the externally regulated 240Z alternator?

Gary S.

The 240Z alternator was rated at 40 amps, so the 60 amp unit is a 50% increase. Still significant. I don't know if the extra output of the 70 amp unit (assuming you could find one) would be all that necessary for most people. I'm using the 60 amp one.

I picked up my 60 amp alternator at O'Reilly Auto Parts today for $44.99 with a lifetime warranty. Got the swapout done in about 15 minutes. Took care of the jumping needle I had in my amp meter. Quick, easy...Ya gotta love it!!! Thanks guys for coming up with these upgrades!

My 1972 FSM shows the L24 alternator as being rated at 45 amps
Makes sense. Early cars got a 40 amp unit with a 45 amp ammeter. Later cars got the 45 amp unit with a 60 amp ammeter? These days even a 60 amp doesn't sound like much, but compared to stock...

Russell - PM sent.

Makes sense. Early cars got a 40 amp unit with a 45 amp ammeter. Later cars got the 45 amp unit with a 60 amp ammeter? These days even a 60 amp doesn't sound like much, but compared to stock...

Is there a 60 amp ammeter for 240z's? I don't recall seeing one in the 73 that I used to own. Yeah, 60 doesn't seem like much, but every little bit helps I guess.

Hopefully this is germaine to the discussion. I have not been able to locate a remanufactured or new 70 amp 280ZX Turbo alternator. However, I have been able to locate the item used. What concerns should one have about purchasing a used alternator? How difficult is it to refresh this part? (Searches have revealed some parts availability - brushes, bearings, etc.) Can this be accomplished at home, or might it be less troublesome or minimally costly to have a shop do a "remanufacture"?

Gary S.

Hopefully this is germaine to the discussion. I have not been able to locate a remanufactured or new 70 amp 280ZX Turbo alternator. However, I have been able to locate the item used. What concerns should one have about purchasing a used alternator? How difficult is it to refresh this part? (Searches have revealed some parts availability - brushes, bearings, etc.) Can this be accomplished at home, or might it be less troublesome or minimally costly to have a shop do a "remanufacture"?

Gary S.

Gary, I'm not sure about your area, but here in Eugene there are several shops that will rebuild your alternator for you, for a pretty reasonable price as well. I personally would have it done, not attempt to do it myself. Especially on a unit that is as hard to find as that 70 amp alternator now appears to be.