IGNORED

Now taking orders - 240Z to 280ZX alternator adapters!

Arne

Good news in several ways! I've hooked up with a source that will make the "Plug-N-Play 240Z Alternator Upgrade Adapter" to my specs. And the production version is frankly better in many ways than I had hoped.

1.) It is now the small, weather-resistant and self-contained unit I had originally envisioned. (See pictures below.)

2.) It is made with a factory-style connector, and new brass terminals. The necessary diode is self-contained.

3.) Better yet, the final version is cheaper than I had thought it could be made. The final price is $15.00 each, INCLUDING postage within the US. Contact me for shipping outside the US. A small volume discount is available for quantities of 10 or more. Contact me for that as well.

So here's the scoop - I can only do this via money orders at this time. PM me for the address to mail it to. Figure 7-10 days turn-around (plus first class mail delivery) once I receive payment.

Here are the pictures, and the instructions. (Instructions will not be printed and shipped with the adapter, to hold down on costs. Please download it here instead.) The alternators that I know for a fact will work are from '81-83 280ZX, both turbo (70 amp) and non-turbo (60 amp). I've been told that other Nissan alternators may work as well (Maxima, etc.) but can't verify that.

post-8596-14150796859412_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150796859615_thumb.jpg

240Z to 280ZX alternator.pdf

Just to clarify - these adapters are for 240Z's wishing to use the '81-83 internally regulated 280ZX alternator. Later 260 and 280Z's are not supposed to need these. Other Nissan alternators may work as well, but I can't confirm that.

quick question: the pulley needs to be swapped from the old 240z alternator onto the new 280zx alternator, right? Also, has anyone done this swap, and solved an overcharging problem they might have had?

Sorry to hijack your thread, just wanted to ask, I might contemplate the adapter after I check alternator prices.

quick question: the pulley needs to be swapped from the old 240z alternator onto the new 280zx alternator, right? Also, has anyone done this swap, and solved an overcharging problem they might have had?

Sorry to hijack your thread, just wanted to ask, I might contemplate the adapter after I check alternator prices.

No, this is a good question. In my experience the 280ZX pulley should work fine, no need to swap it. You might need a new or different belt, but that should be all. If you've got any local wrecking yards that will guarantee their parts, you should be able to grab and go.

Damn Arne, Great idea!!! Kinda Makes me wish that I had thought of it..:cheeky:

Looks very clean and also looks like I could even hide it between the engine harness and the frame rail without any one seeing it. NICE......

Dave.

Thanks for the kind words, Dave. Your help and support during the trek to get here has been invaluable. These parts wouldn't be available today without your help.

Tom:

Going to the ZX alt will increase the maximum amperage available in your car and eliminate the external VR. And that is all it does.

But it does NOTHING to eliminate the fact that ALL of the power to your headlights goes through the Headlight Switch, and through the Fuse Box. This is the promary benefit to Dave's product.