IGNORED

Original Key Blanks

1 Bravo 6

These are pictures of the reversible key blanks that were used for all locks on later 240Zs in the US (or at least that is my understanding). Nissan Part #'s KEY00-00050 (left groove) and KEY00-00051 (right groove). I also attached a picture of the original packaging for the keys. Looks like they came 5 per bag.

Anyone know where or why Datsun used the Griffon on the keys shown prior to Oct. 67? I've never found any reference to it in any Datsun/Nissan documents nor history.

Carl B.

Hi Carl,

I think the Griffon first appeared on NISSAN-PRINCE literature for a short while after the 1966 merger. The logo below is in the original Japanese, with another in English as interpreted by the Prince Owners Register (Australia)

I have seen it on the packaging of Prince parts (part No. always ending with a "P") sent from Japan, don't recall ever seeing it on a part before though!

Jim.

post-6441-1415079691408_thumb.jpg

post-6441-14150796914215_thumb.jpg

Hello Jim:

Thanks so much!! I've been trying to find any linkage of that Griffon with DATSUN for quite some time.

Years ago, the Datsun Dealers sold this Pocket Patch (see attached) over the Parts Counters - but no one could tell me how it was associated with "DAT", "Datson" or "Datsun"... it certainly isn't a little hare. As you can see the Pocket Patch isn't an Offical Datsun nor Nissan product, but was produced by an after-market supplier. I've also seen that Griffon on after-market gear shift knobs.

post-3609-14150796914603_thumb.jpg

....on second look, I'd have to say the 'N' or 'Z' is a N as in Nissan. The key has no mention of the 240z anywhere on it. Good call Montoya.

I think you will find that the key was also used in the 240K and possibly the 510, that being the case it would be an N for Nissan.

Just out of interest, my 240 key was used last week to open a customers Toyota, so I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was the logo of some obscure Japanese Lock Company!

I think you will find that the key was also used in the 240K and possibly the 510, that being the case it would be an N for Nissan.

It's an "N" My Skyline uses the rectangular head key that is marked the same way.

Just out of interest, my 240 key was used last week to open a customers Toyota

Actually, there are only so many combinations for key codes, so there is probably some overlap between brands. They also generally used the same parts suppliers. Koito was the major supplier of lights and Nippon Denso was the spark plug supplier.

• 3 months later...

After researching and then finding oem blanks for my 78 280Z and my 79 810 (both double sided but mirror images of each other), it would appear that the only single sided oem blanks still available through Nissan would be KEY00-00018 and KEY00-00019. (see Mike B.'s post #60) Are those the ones you're looking for, Rick?