IGNORED

Auto to Manual Conversion Guide

Alfadog

Update on the driving experience... It does chirp into 3rd :P

It does feel quite odd driving now... very much so like a new car. Since the clutch is a 280ZX one it's actually quite hard - wouldn't want it any harder. Gotta sort out my sticky pedal though, makes taking off from a standstill a bit of a magic act! Thanks for the positive comments guys :)

BTW, got a complaint from a neighbour too on Saturday night. Hooning around without any exhaust and doing burnouts... True we took it around the block twice - slowly - to test the gearbox and clutch, but that was with exhaust fitted and definitely no burnouts!! I doubt I'd be able to even do it, and I would definitely not do it in front of my own house :stupid: I think I know the neighbour who complained too, but I'll reserve the thoughts I have towards her :) Anyway, police came today while I was out and said they will be returning. I sure look forward to that! :D

Be thankful they only complain..

..one of my "friendly" neighbours decided to key my car on Australia Day (now THAT'S un-Australian) - only days after I got it back from the panel shop. What makes it worse is that I only got it back on the Friday, having spent $$ on getting little bits here and there on the body attended to. Now I have a lovely foot long scar on the passenger side.

I know who did it too, but I've got no proof. I don't do burnouts or make any noise, he just doesn't like me.

Ahh yes, 3rd gear chirp :D

Luckily we have a neighbour opposite that is generally louder and more car obsessed than us so, people around this area are somewhat used to it. DOn't do anything excessive, just when testing something out it gets a quick blat down the street and back and then back up the drive for more tinkering followed by another blat :D

Glad you've finally got it manual now though! All you need is one of Alan's S20's ;) Of course, then you'd probably need a different box anyway!

Great to hear, Lachlan! Sounds like you're enjoying the manual experience. It's only a matter of time before you have the triple 45mm Webers fitted, with fully worked L28 up front. :tapemouth

Two reds go into gearbox (that's reverse lights), and you must short the two blacks (inhibitor).
Of course - makes perfect sense now! Why didn't I think of it?? :stupid:

Pretty lame of the neighbours to call the cops though. It's not as if you regularly hoon around your neighbourhood. Might be time to get a second muffler (or resonator) fitted, if the cops are going to be keeping an eye on you.

Hey Michael, yeah I got some softer return springs and it helped a bit, but there is still some slack before it starts. I think shortening the cable might do the trick... I just wish it weren't a floor-mounted pedal... the Z one was perfect.

Peter, it didn't make sense to us because the two reds were male, and the two blacks were female. The two wires from the box were also male. Odd... but easily worked out. :) We have continual problems in the neighbourhood with reckless drivers testing out their rubber burning skills on the street. It quite possibly could have been some random person who saw the numberplate and just reported that. Who knows... all I know is I won't drive around the block at night anymore. Just a longer walk home if something doesnt work :o

Youre finally there! Ive been reading every post with anticipation - and where have these twin SU's come from :D? When did you get them put in - was this your mysterious 'side project'? Bet its an infinitely more enjoyable experience.

And whats this about a chirp in third gear? Perhaps the ratios are slightly different in the five speed, because there is absolutely no way the tyres will chirp in third gear with my four speed. Anyway, sounds great, hope to see pics/video soon :D

Tom

Hi Tom, I have had the dual Hitachi SU's in for a long time now... one of the very first things I did. I put off the "side project" due to underbudgeting for the conversion. :( The four and five speeds do have different ratios:

F4W71B	FS5W71B
1st 3.592 3.321
2nd 2.246 2.077
3rd 1.415 1.308
4th 1.000 1.000
5th 0.864
Rev 3.657 3.382

But using my immense car knowledge, wouldn't that mean the ratios are actually shorter in the 4-speed? I guess there are a lot of other factors too, including carbs, weight, engine condition, tyres, gradient of the road etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, will try to get a video soon. As for pics... you want more?! LOL What of?

Rear end gearing also has an effect on the final drive. I've not tried spinning my tires yet, but I swapped out the F4W71B 4 speed for a FS5W71B 5 speed and lost some off-the-line jump. However, once in third gear, the car moves like a scalded cat. This is with a 3.90 rear end. Funny, though all I've read seems to point out that these are 72 transmissions, and my car is a 71.

Really? I must have missed that...or my memory has since faded into oblivion. In any case are they round top hitachis, or flat tops? Just a pic of the engine bay is all i was after!

In regards to the 5-speed trannies, im not sure if that (small) descrepancy between 3rd gear ratios would account for the chirp? The ZX box is an altogether different box, isnt it?

Tom

According to the manuals and things I've got the differentials should be the same (ie R180 3.54). My carbs are round top hitachis from a 240Z. They add a bit of performance, but chew a lot more fuel and harder to keep in tune.