IGNORED

70's pinstripes and other cool details...

Gav240z

I just saw a car on ebay which caught my attention because of the pinstriping on the bonnet and a few other body details such as the chrome around the wheel arch's.

See here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Z-Series-1972-Datsun-240Z_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6187QQitemZ4602734021QQrdZ1

I've seen a few members with some old photos of Zeds they owned in the late 70's - 80's with some (dealer)? option details on their z. I'm wondering if anyone has any other pictures of some cool 70's style paint jobs/pinstriping/body details etc..

I'm hoping to get some ideas for a period correct looking unique paint job/scheme. :laugh:

I agree Gavin, some Z's look great with a tastefully done pinstripe job. I think a yellow Z with black pinstripes is super. The Black Pearl in full correct dress looks fantastic also. Some people might think it's garish but that was what the 70's was about.

The big "240Z" stripe along the side really looks great (like on your car), simple but classic IMO.

Vicky

Vicky,

Remember Jimbo had that white '72 with the red interior and the red pinstiping? It was beautiful pinstriping, Gav. Hand painted. Not tape. I'm not real big on the chrome wheel arch accents, but a Z looks good in pinstriping and it is quite period correct. Very feminine.

Chris

The chrome wheel arches aren't bad as long as they don't reach the proportions of some that I've seen on Hondas, Sentras, etc. I don't have them on my Z but I do on my 810 although I think they're stainless rather than chrome.

....Very feminine.

Chris

Sorry Chris, I think you're way off base on that comment.

Aside from that, did anyone else note the wheels? They have a special feature that might be completely missed if not pointed out. But I'll just post the pictures and see if anyone notices.

E

post-1490-14150796535323_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14150796535464_thumb.jpg

Sorry Chris, I think you're way off base on that comment.

Aside from that, did anyone else note the wheels? They have a special feature that might be completely missed if not pointed out. But I'll just post the pictures and see if anyone notices.

E

Left and Right side wheels.

Ultra Type 24 directionals. Part number 24-4748R and 4748L. A remarkably so-so wheel, quality wise. And I never cared for the looks of them either, although if I was selling to you I'd have told you they were great! ;)

Wow what a find.....

Yeah, that looks like a great car. But who knows. People say a lot of things when they're selling a used car.

Oh -- anecdote. Z-specific. I looked at a car that shortly afterwards went up on eBay. The owner had told me the car had 90,000 original miles. I got on a plane. The odometer showed 47K or something like that. There were still records in the glovebox, and if you combed through you saw that the odometer had been turned over. If you combed further you saw that at one point the odometer had been disconnected. I asked the owner, he said he'd bought it in a kind of swap deal and the PO said it had 90K so he believed him (which I think he did).

Relative of the owner does the eBay ad. "47,000 original miles."

Steve.

There's the 280Zap of course (or Zappp or however it was officially spelled) from '77.

Yeah the Zapp is pretty cool it's a shame we missed the Zapp and the Black Pearl models in Australia.

I guess what I like about pinstriping is it can help make the lines of the Z stand out a bit more.

My old 73 was red with an orange pinstripe down the sides but it was a bit faded and it was hard to really see what it did for the car. I just look at my car sometimes and find it a bit naked without badges, and rubber trim on the bumpers I think I'll be sourcing those bits slowly.

If anyone has seen Overhaulin a show like monster garage and pimp my ride but better IMHO the guy who does those cars like to make use of those kind of paint jobs that bring a bit of the past up to the present.

See the website here: http://www.overhaulin.com/ :cheeky:

Can't say I'm a fan of the chrome over the wheel arches. Looks like rubbish (especially with the white writing on the tyres ew!). Love the lower 240Z stripe you were playing with though Gav. That's about the extent I'd ever go. :)