IGNORED

Which cars had the radiator support painted black?

Ed

Well based on memory I thought mine was going to be the exception. Apparently not. My Dark Brown Metalic '73 240Z has also had the radiator support hand painted flat black, and a poor job it is. It was not painted from top to bottom but started about 6" down from the top of the support and stops right at the base before the front crossmember. You can see where the paint ran down onto the crossmember and then down the front. What a slop job. I'm glad it's not visible from the outside.

26th was not a good example as she has been painted a number of colors over the years. I should go out and check 27th but it has been so dark lately! I have to wait for the weekend.

I have that same picture in my files, Ed. They were on a web site some years ago when I copied them for references.

I think the hinges are supposed to be painted the color of the car. I have seen the plated ones and I don't know what the deal is there.

Mark, I'd guess that the front of the radiator support on #215 was also repainted. Just a guess, as the hood springs are painted silver, too. They should be black. Not conclusive, but a good indication. :geek:

I don't mean to be nit picky :paranoid: , but like you say, not a good paint job in the engine bay. I mean, jeez, the paint code label was painted over! :tapemouth

You're right. And don't worry about being picky. That's what I'm trying to be right now - I want to find out what this car looked like when it was new. I may not be able to afford to get all the way back to 100% original, but I'll do the best that I can. The paint code was the least of their problems. They even painted over the engine bay dataplate! (on the engine bay passenger side).

I went back through my pictures (many hundreds) and found the attached image that I took before disassembly. Wiring harness, back of the horns, and the front of the radiator are all oversprayed silver! So obviously the front of the radiator support was painted...

Thanks.

post-4028-14150796521946_thumb.jpg

Here is another picture I found of the same car - early 1970 with 23,000 original miles. Looks like painted hinges and black hinge torsion bars. There are a number of guys around with original, low mileage cars; especially the later models. Give Charlie Osborne a shout, or Mike McGinnis. They would know a lot more about the later models.

Stock horns, by the way, are olive drab dark green, not black.

post-4148-1415079652311_thumb.jpg

Hi Gary, I've seen the cad plated hinges, but I think the hinges were originally painted body color on the Z's when they were new. When I mentioned the hood springs I was referring to the two torsion bars which mount between the hinges. Those should be black AFAIK.

I've noticed other New/Replacement parts that have the cadmium plating, but which are painted over on the car, such as the hood hinges. Several of the coolant plumbing parts on the engine seem to be available now with the cad plating, but were originally painted blue like the engine. These include the coolant outlet elbow at the back of the block, the "Y" pipe that connects to the heater core and the intake, etc...

Also, a lot of the nuts & bolts used on the suspension appeared to be cad plated although they were painted black.

Hi Gary, I've seen the cad plated hinges, but I think the hinges were originally painted body color on the Z's when they were new. When I mentioned the hood springs I was referring to the two torsion bars which mount between the hinges. Those should be black AFAIK.

Also, a lot of the nuts & bolts used on the suspension appeared to be cad plated although they were painted black.

Kenz, thanks for the clarification. My car is far from original, so maybe they were replacement hinges or something. Gary

Hey Ed,

Don't ask me WHY I typed in 312. It's NOT 312. I know it's not 312. Yet I typed in 312, knowing full well that 312 is incorrect. :stupid:

Now, knowing that 312 is wrong, ....... WHY would I say it was 312 ?. If "Precious" was painted in code 312, then you would have known what colour she is.

I can't even blame the mistake on a typo 'cause the 1 & the 2 are nowhere near the correct numbers on the keyboard. Had the number been 321 or 324 or 314 I might have been able to blame the mistake on my thick fingertips. However, by typing in 312 I have proven beyond any shadow of doubt that it's not my fingertips that are thick, it appears to be my head.:stupid:

Enough waffle.

The paint code is actually, .... Ummmmm, let's see now, ..... I think, ........

oh, yes, that's right,

301[/center.

Rick.

:devious: :devious: