Embarrassing... Oil Change Question... - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Embarrassing... Oil Change Question...

Featured Replies

This is my first oil change since getting the car (took it to a Z Shop for the first one) and my Haynes manual is still on order.. and it's been a long time since I changed the oil on my '78 back in High School...

I'm heading to the store on the way home from work and, ummm... (sigh)

How much oil? 6 quarts?

  • Author

awesome, thanks both (great link =) )

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Oil change is very easy.

1) Drop the oil.

2) Unscrew the oil filter.

3) Take your finger and lube up the new oil filter's gasket. Install new filter. I like to tighten mine just a hair tighter than hand.

4) Add oil.

Most cars hold around 3-4qts of oil. I normally put 4-4.5.

Actually you will be 7/8's low ...but a qt. is close enough.

Actually, my 1973 F.S.M. states (on Page GI 2) that the refill capacity including oil for a filter replacement is 5.1 qts (US Measure).

so he'd be 1 1/10 qt low..........but 1 qt. is close enough. :laugh:

Be sure to physically slide your finger on the mating surface of the block at the oil filter plate, to make sure the old gasket is not there. Don't just look at the gasket on the old oil filter....there could of been a 2nd gasket on there and you were just lucky it sealed.

Old Jiffylube manager trick....

you forgot a step- replace oil plug, then add oil.i hate when that happens- forget to put plug back in.:stupid:

Let me guess....it must be Saturday night. Guy's...I don't think I can take another weekend like last weekend with the battle of deed restrictions and city ordinances or better known as the deedee " Is this Stupid or What" thread.

I am out a here on this one...before this can be called "Is this Stupid or What":classic:

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.