IGNORED

240Z power antenna

frankfou999

Probably the biggest reason people might chose to not put the antenna all the way up, is simply to protect the antenna from being hit or broken off.

There are also some FM and AM stations that come in better when you don't have the antenna up all the way.

I've found that one station that I listen to near my house comes in great with about 12" of antenna, then as I travel from one side of town to the other, I have to extend the antenna fully, then again retract it to about 20" as I go through "the tunnel" and the Zoo's Hill.

Others may have other reasons, but I believe these are the main ones.

As low as these cars sit, I'd hate to have a full mast of antenna while sitting in downtown traffic with all the bicyclists or pedestrians trying to walk around the car. I bet it would snag one or two before being snapped off.

2¢

E

hi guys,i thought i'd throw in my 2 cents worth...

i purchased a "factory" complete antenna from nissan a few years ago..

it continues to work very well..living in L.A. metro area(glendora) the need to have a variable-antenna height adjust is a good thing..especially with that old

hitachi am/fm mono radio(and sirrius satellite!)

• 12 years later...

I’m nearing completion of my audio system consisting of Head unit, Amp, speakers w/ crossovers I my 77 280Z.  I have  done a “sound test” just to hear system before putting everything back into console (what fun?). Cd source sounds great but now I must hook up the radio antenna.  I am using (used with former setup) a power telescoping antenna working off manual toggle switch that allowed antenna to stop in position as well as up/down.  However, since the whole system was apart/disassembled for over a year, I can’t remember how the old system connected to factory wiring (same antenna) to repeat with new system... 77. factory wiring diagram shows solid blue, blue/white stripe and black ground to power antenna. (No blue/red stripe anywhere in loop...240 Z different?). What is most confusing to me is antenna  has power wires 2-reds, 2-Greens and the black ground (that was grounded to metal under hatch deck). What are/why the double sets of red&green wires and which combination would go to solid blue (power from the the ignition switch?) and which to the blue/white stripe (unknown function and/or power source)?  The back of the toggle switch has the same 2-red, 2-green, black ground wires.  How to connect each end of this antenna-toggle switch circuit to blue & blue/white factory wires?.   Anyone used this antenna type wiring?  Please help me solve mystery...install sheet long gone and can’t remember mfr.   thank y’all! 

• 9 months later...

Easy. Most newer mast have three wires red for down, green and red for up. Black is ground.  Just one diode placed between the red and green wire does it.  Why it works you ask? A diode allows current to flow in only one direction so when the switch on the radio is switched to up the diode will send power from the green wire to the red wire an up the antenna goes.  Conversely when the switch is switched to down only the red wire is powered because the diode will not allow current to flow backwards. And down the antenna goes.