IGNORED

240z # 2

ddezso

Well I went to the state inspection office for the 3rd time today. They have verified that the car isn't stolen. Apparently the next step is the state removes the mismatched dash VIN from the car and they create a new dash VIN plate to match the firewall VIN #.

I will wind up with a title for the appropriate VIN HLS3014160 which is a relief instead of a state issued VIN and salvage title.

The car isn't the super low #3137 but still a pretty good #14160, is not stolen, and will have appropriate VIN's and titles. I think I will order new replacement door jamb and engine compartment tags to make it even more legit....

I'm glad to hear things worked out for you as far as the VIN is concerend. Before the whole VIN fiasco began, you asked for our opinions on what to do about the later rear hatch.... I would try to find a Series I rear hatch, if I were you. I realize that they are hard to come by, but I think you would be much happier in the long run. As a matter of fact, I know a local Datsun mechanic who has his own shop here in the Denver area and specializes in Z parts. He has a lot of spare parts and ther's a good chance that he has one available. Try calling Bob Bush at "Fortunate WheelZ" 303-798-9822. Phoenix is just over 500 miles from Denver, so the shipping shouldn't be too bad, especially if you buy it without the glass. Good luck with your Series I project!

I recently saw a '72 with the dash/windshield VIN missing completely. The door-jamb plate was still in place and matched tags in the engine compartment.

There was a stamped-in-metal "Replacement VIN" plate made by the State of California riveted to the door jamb, same number as the other.

It still seemed sort of weird to me and I thought it might make others uncomfortable if I later wanted to sell.

But maybe it was only that a replacement dash had been put in -- the car had all kinds of replacement stuff in it, including pre-'72 seats.

Steve.

I think if the state makes me put a replacement VIN in the door jamb I will take it off and get a replacement door jamb plate from Banzai so it is back to legit original. Thanks for the heads up though. I just want a legit car that matches properly. The good news is the state confirmed that nothing is stolen. I hope this thread is of value to folks who are lurking the site and shopping for Z cars so they know things to look for.

Well here is the final outcome (which is different from what they told me last week). The state of AZ removed the dash VIN (HLS3003137) and kept it. They then told me since the firewall VIN can't be matched to the engine serial # they had to issue a State VIN #. They took a metal looking blue tag and adhered it to the door jamb and the title will reflect the new #.

So I am curious - the car is a beauty, the firewall VIN is clearly HLS3014160, it is straight and almost refreshed nicely. How much do you think the value is impacted as a result of a state issued VIN? Would you pay less for this car even though I can prove the build date?

Thanks...

I think at this point, as long as you have full documentation of the whole process, the value of the car is probably not diminished too badly. Especially for someone who wants a driver of some sort, and not a concours original show queen.