IGNORED

Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Tommo560

I used the maxima brakets on my conversion but I didn't want to pull the stubs, so I cut the brakets to make them 3 hole so that they would just slide on. Worked well and 3 bolts are plenty for the application as is seen with the aftermarket conversions.

That is a very good tip. Wish I knew that when I originally installed my old Z-Quip early ZX setup. Totally unnecessary to have 4 bolts mounting it, and it requires you to pull the stub axles to bolt it up. It is easy to cut part of the bracket off and use the other 3 bolts and then the stubs can stay.

I have just replaced my rear brakes with Z32 Calipers,Rotors and manual hand brake . Next week will be replacing fronts (Commodore VT for those in Australia) with Z32.

Front and rear current Brakes are for sale if any one is interested.

I have just replaced my rear brakes with Z32

Front and rear current Brakes are for sale if any one is interested.

What rear brakes are they? if they are the 280zx conversion then i might be interested in them, if you can pm me with details of what they are, what condition they're in and what price you want for them, that would be great.

My_Mad_z: i'm in perth and i havnt heard of pick-a-part, but what sort of place is it so that i cant see if i can find some parts for such a rediculously low price. one question though, what sort of condition where they in? i want something in reasonably good nick so i dont have to be replacing anything soon, and so that i know it will be able to handle some hard slogging at the track.

Tom.

"Pick-A-Part" is the generic term tfor a junkyard or auto salvage yard that primarily has or allows the customers remove their own parts. You can pick off your own hood or doors, or whatever. If you want the brake rotor, you need to remove the wheel, then the caliper & rotor. In that case, you might have to buy the entire brake caliper-rotor combination.

Tom

The Mod is well known to 240Z owners.

The rear brakes are off a Nissan Pintara,Unfortunately I do not have Photo.

They have done only about 3000Km. I had them fully serviced and new rotors at that time.They are still in very good condition.

The modification is very simple just bolt on .There many articles on web, just type in R31 Brakes. The combination of R31 Rear and Commodore fronts are very good. If you go to my gallery you will see the condition of my work.

I have left the calipers some 100 Kms from here where I was fitting CVs as some one up there was interested in them.

Frank

Pick-a-part is a wrecking yard that we have in melbourne; you take your tools and remove the items yourself.... I guess that's why it's so cheap! I checked to see that the calipers were in working order before I removed them and they were fine.

The good thing about pick-a-part is that prices are standardised across all manufacturers! They charged me $25 per disc and $25 per caliper.... I fitted them and they are in excellent working ordern didn't have to recondition the calipers.

You can also cut the skyline caliper mounts to avoid removing the stub axles, I had my stub axles out to replace the bearings so I chose to leave the mounts in-tact.

I've also done a brake upgrade on the front, used toyota 4 spot calipers and peugot vented/slotted discs.... only problem is that it wont allow the standard 14" wheels to fit. That upgrade cost me approximately $400; bought brand new discs from dba and bought the calipers 2nd hand and reconditioned them.

Good luck.

Marc.

• 11 months later...

OK

Obviously this brake upgrade was not high priority but I have finally fitted the brake kit ERMINIO had for sale 2 pot Commodore/Falcon front and R31 rear in place of Toyota Hi Ace 4 pot front and stock rear drums.

The rear was a straight bolt up, pulled both axles and replaced the bearings because one was a bit noisy anyway, had to overhaul the callipers to get the hand brake operational, that's now set to go just need to connect the cables.

The front was a bit challenging, it looked like I needed to build up the bottom of the strut with weld then grind it back down and drill and tap new locating holes for the callipers. I wasn't comfortable with trying to build up cast steel using welding rod as I'm told it will weaken the cast steel and can lead to it shattering, as the car is used in competition the thought of a front stub axle letting go under hard braking from 180+ks wasn't appealing so I looked around and finally came up with a guy who was able to mill the mounting face to accommodate the larger callipers and provide 7mm spacers so that the callipers are centred on the rotors.

Even though I've gone from 4 pots to 2 on the front I have more than doubled the pad swept area and suspect the piston area is also increased as I now have greater brake pedal travel so will upgrade the master cylinder from 7/8 to 15/16.

Driving on the street all felt fine the first real test was a motorkhana and with limited grip on the skid pan the brakes felt significantly improved but the fronts had a tendency to lock up much earlier than previously.

The big test came at a tuning day at the local Wanneroo race track, for those who don't know the track it's undulating about 2.2 ks long its main straight has a down hill run into a 90deg right hander so brakes get a hiding I did a warm up lap and six or so semi hard laps on street tyres and pads braking from about 170ks and although I could hear the pads complaining the braking is dramatically improved on what I previously had with race pads and I could still achieve lock up with hot brakes and virtually no extra pedal travel.

I wonder if I'll see a difference in my times :devious:

Here's a vid from a recent club track day.

Tom

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well its been a couple hill climbs and a track day since the upgrade and the last time i was out i shattered my lap time by 3 seconds and i still only have street pads on the car!!

the toyota 4 pistons were good but these commodore brakes are just FANTASTIC. anyone who is looking at upgrading the brakes for a performance/club/race application should give this upgrade a serious look. for the street on a mild/hot street car the toyota 4 piston brakes are still good but for stopping the car at high speeds like in a racing application you cant go past the commodore brakes. and they even fit in the stock rims!!

sensational upgrade at a sensational price. ~$900 is the cheapest 3 seconds i've spent on the car to date.

Tom.