IGNORED

How would you paint your car if?

LanceM

If your car was nowhere near stock body wise or any other way and wanted something different and had the ability to do it yourself??

My 240 is so far from stock it will never go back, and that started a long time ago, being the second owner since 79 or so... I'm getting close to paint and I can't decide. I want something that will stand out and say HEY! But things like shadow flames, color changing paint, and all of the modern stuff seems so over done anymore, it's everywhere... I was thinking of painting it 918 orange and tiger striping it with a white belly, really making it look like a tiger, the stance of the car is right, but all of the black stripes on the top will have people thinking it's a damn orange bumble bee or some crap.....

The car will look like one of Bob Sharp Racings cars when it is finished, solid headlight covers, air dam, and spoiler... Thought of doing a replica BSR car but.... I want it to be mine, not a copy of someone elses...

Give me some ideas, you photo choppers show me what you'd do!!!

BTW, I can paint so any of these ideas are not out of the realm of my ability, it's just that I only want to do it once and can't decide... So many of the Z's (pics) I see are "stock solid color" with maybe racing stripes... I want one of a kind, the heck with the rest :) No offence to the purist, this all started long before anyone cared about keeping a Z “showroom”, I just want to finish what I started so long ago….

Here are some diaper fume induced ideas...

1)Since it is far from stock, why not take the best of the emblems and enlarge them-(make the hood ornament cover the hood(still round but large and in paint instead of chromed plastic)), the fender emblems fill up the lower fenders, the quarter vents extend to the lower fender...Keep the painted emblems in the same proportion, but much larger...

You have exaggerated the performance of the Z over stock, why not the emblems?

2) Cover it with a "LANSMO" theme- it is your car after all...

3) Chrome plate the sheet metal that was originally painted, and paint the pieces that were originally chrome.

4) Paint it three colors seporated by a zipper being opened-with flesh and a navel being exposed by the zipper...or use the paint scheme that Beandip and Enrique discussed for Garys car(you will have to email one of them for a photo....you can then call it a true fair lady...heeheehee!)

5) Paint replicas of your license plate all over the car-but only if you won't speed...

6) Paint it to look like it is in a baggy plastic grocery bag.

7) Paint a mural of all of the work you have done on it on it(or at least the reciepts).

8) Paint reflections of your favorite place into it

9) Paint it to look like it is going tripple digits when it is sitting still-optical illusions

10) Paint it three colors of primer but with a shine you can eat off.

Will

920 gold gets me lots of looks, I do not know if that is good or bad but people look. I really like green cars more than orange though so I would like to go with a shade of green that most people refer to as puke green. I first saw the color on an AMG Mercedes 500SEL back in the mid `80's. It was awesome, kinda like 920 gold but in green (920 green?).

I question how it is you know how to paint yet don't know the first thing about prepping for paint (from your other post).

Sorry, but your question of "How would you paint your car if?" sounds like another version of "Does this dress make me look fat?".

Go to an old book and magazine store, or the library, find books on custom cars, hot rods, how to paint books. Read them! There's tons of pictures, instructions on how to do it, even step by step pictures.

How you paint your car is subjective and highly personal. What one person would drool over, another would find vomit worthy. Besides if someone has a really good or exceptionately unique concept, what makes you think they're just going to give it up to you?

If you are a painter, then you know that people that go for custom paint jobs DO NOT want what others have. You'd sooner get two women to wear the same dress to the office party (I saw that happen in an office once, and it was a regular work day...talk about tense feelings!) than have the owner of a custom paint job allow you to copy his. It happens, but I'll be willing to bet that it isn't by consent of the original.

Other than that, I like Will's suggestions!

Enrique

I question how it is you know how to paint yet don't know the first thing about prepping for paint (from your other post).

Enrique

Not my post....

I'm not looking to copy anything just looking for ideas....

ROFL

How about painting it desert storm camouflage ? or even regular camouflage.

Ha, funny you should mention that, I already have a camo Blazer, and have been kidded at work about painting the Z camo too.... But I think not, at least not in flat paint :)

Something in red always stands out, and gets a lot of looks. I always had the notion of painting a WW II Japanese battle flag on the underside of my hood.

My brother in law suggested painting it as if a Japanese battle flag was draped over the car.... But I think I would get tired of repairing all of the key scrapes :)