IGNORED

'Picked up my 280Z Today :D

KDMatt

Ahh... the check went through, I got the cashier's check made... and... well now there's a 280Z parked in front of my house. :laugh:

It's really weird though... it's a 1976 model, but it's still got a 5-speed tranny, I was under the impression that 5-speeds didn't make it into Z's until 77? I mean it's quite possible that mine is just a late, late production 76, but still, weird eh? (VIN: 286119)

Anyway, my shifting has greatly improved. Once I got a fair sense of where the gears all were, I was home-free. When I test drove it, I never had to go beyond 3rd gear, but today I had to take it on the freeway to get it home, so I had a chance to cycle her all the way through. The steering vibrates a little up near 60, but I suppose that's not a huge deal, right?

It was funny though, one of the first remarks my mom made about it (after "wow, that guy really took good care of it") was, "hey, this car doesn't have any airbags does it?!" ... and what could I do? I just sort of shrugged and glumly said no... I had to, of course, explain to her that this car was made back when cars were still solid hunks of metal, and it is therefore, more rigid, and less liable to get crushed and fall apart in an accident than her Civic (which she, ironically, also just picked up today).

It took me a while to figure out that I have power mirrors too. The only thing I have left to figure out is how to open up the hatch in the back, and I'm pretty much set. Is there some kind of trick to getting the key to turn? I stick mine in but it doesn't want to turn.

Heh, I also had a bit of a close-encounter with the parking brake too, I put it up all the way, and the bugger didn't want to come back down (button was stuck). I tore off the cruddy boot and did eventually get it down... but, whew... I was worried I'd have to have a pro look at it with less than 30 minutes of ownership under my belt. Now I just put it up enough where the car doesn't want to roll freely, and I put a wooden block under the rear tire... Hey, maybe it doesn't look great, but it sure beats having a stuck parking brake.

Only thing I noticed is that the shift action is sorta sloppy, that's part of the reason why I was having a hard time shifting into the right gears (accidentally putting her into first when I meant to put her into third, that sorta thing). I'm just glad it's tough to find and get into reverse... all hell would have broken loose if I'd been aiming for fourth and'd hit reverse instead... sayonara tranny.

Anyway, I'll have some pictures for you all soon! :bunny:

Congratulations!

On the shifting, $7 two grometts and 15 minutes and that slop is gone!

With the Emergency Brake, you have found something that scares almost eveyone once!

The key cyl for the hatch is probably worn-try lubricating it first, and if that doesn't work, take it out and to a lock smith with your key, and it can be fixed for less than $10!

Will

Ah thanks!

I'm definitely going to look into fixing that shifting action... that and probably get a different shift knob... The one I've got is wood (and no, it's not stock), and it's, as my sister would say, "fugly."

The best part is though, a Haynes Repair Manual came as part of the deal.

Get a Factory Service Manual if you really fall in love with the car-it really shows the proper care and feeding of your car, and not eleven years worth of similar cars-there are differences between Zs- and the words "others similar" just don't do it for me...

Will

The Emergency Brake gets adjusted by pulling up and releasing several times until such a time as only 7 clicks or so are enough to hold the car on a slight incline.

The Hatch Lock many times will actually get a bit worn and require a gentle touch so as not to push the lock cylinder down into the holder sleeve. Insert your key and making sure you are NOT pressing down and moving the cylinder down, rotate it 90°. Generally, straight up and down is locked, (Relative to the top (front) of the hatch) and side to side is open.

FWIW

Enrique

Like Escalon said, put the key in the hatch lock and, without pushing down, turn the key clockwise 90°, then push the button all the way down until you feel/hear the lock release. Then simply pull up on the hatch to open it.

The electric mirrors and 5 speed tranny aren't original. Don't worry about shifting into reverse while driving. The Datsun 5 speeds have a lockout to prevent that from happening.

I'd like to see some pics as well so I can compare your '76 and my '75. :)

One thing you'll appreciate about having a fuel injected Z car is that when they are dialed in properly, they tend to stay that way and are very reliable. The down side is the added weight of the 280 series. But that can be cured with a 280ZX turbo motor!

Mimireg,

For an explanation of the slop in a shifter and what to do about it, look here:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17243&highlight=shifter+bushings

Here are current Ebay auctions for the bushings that are the most common cause of the slop-some in upgraded materials. There is a third bushing that goes on the end of the shifter, it occasionally creates an issue, but I could not find one on ebay.

I would buy the delrin or the brass versions-they will be longer lived than the oem.

Clean the area and replace the boot that seals the tranny too!

One word about ebay-not everything there is cheeper than at the dealer-verify the part is not still availble and make sure it is not cheeper at the dealer-sometimes you will get a suprise! The last time I bought these bushings at the dealer, they were less than $2 a pair-that wasn't that long ago....If you don't already have a copy of the club CD, and a t-shirt,now is the time. The CD will give you part numbers and assembly drawings(A FSM is illustrated much better, but they are on the CD), The T-shirt will give you the sence that we(all of the members) are all behind you and ready to help when you can't get that little "E" sahped thingy off the clevis pin that holds the shifter on, and keep the bushings from coming out!

OEM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7985883805&category=46101&sspagename=WDVW

In Delrin

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7986411569&category=33736&sspagename=WDVW

In Brass

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7986410185&category=33736&sspagename=WDVW

Will

The T-shirt will give you the sence that we(all of the members) are all behind you and ready to help when you can't get that little "E" sahped thingy off the clevis pin that holds the shifter on, and keep the bushings from coming out!

Many thanks!

Heh, I need to get one of those CD's and t-shirts. :P

Well I drove it around again today, but I'm still not very adept with a stick. It's just too bad that nobody else in my family has a manny tranny, because then I could at least work my way up to my car.

Not being too skilled with the stick is a major disadvantage at this stage, because after I get done driving, I feel all nervous and jittery, pretty much because the car still feels alien to me. I'm going to set aside some time to just drive on the residential streets near my house (stop signs, almost no traffic) just to get the whole thing down.

Ugh, and sometimes I still accidentally shift into first when I'm aiming for third (on the highway, when I'm accelerating no less)... ugh... and that usually scares the hell out of me, when I do it (say, going 35/40 mph) the engine goes into high rpms and the tires squeal... and a wave of smelly exhaust hits me up front. It'd be cool if I was doing it on purpose... but yeah... It sucks to be a novice.

I just hope my car is patient.

In other news, my neighbor across the street, almost immediately after I brought the car home today came over and complimented me, and gave me a card for this shop about 15 miles away that does brakes and exhaust. The guy there quoted me a cool $120 to replace it (cat-back), so that makes me happy. It'll look like an old car, smell like an old car, but not sound like one (and that's good).

If you can get your hands on a motorcycle or dirt bike, that was actually how I learned to drive a manual (for me, being able to do most of it with my hands gave me a good feel for the timing, wheich translates to cars really well; and most bikes are more forgiving of a novice -- just make sure someone doesn't put you on something with too much horsepower!). once i got the general feel and idea of clutching and shifting, it was a lot easier to learn to do it in a car.

And don't be too hard on yourself =) The Z is not exactly a novice stick/clutch to learn on, but when you get it, it feels great!

-m

Going into 1st @ 30-40??? ouch :eek: She will forgive you, but take your time so you don't damage the clutch or tranny. Years ago I had a neighbor that tought me. I actually shocked him how well I picked up on it. Never killed it once :D For some people it just takes longer. Wait till you hit some hills LOL Before you know it, you will be like the rest of us. I can be on the steepest hill and not roll back. Just takes practice man.

Check the fluid level and condition in your tranny. It may be low which could cause hard shifting. NOTE: "No dip stick for manual" You will need to go under your Z and remove the fill plug to check it. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to just change the gear oil in the tranny. Use Redline MT-90. I noticed quiet a diff. when I put it in my Z. Helps with smoother shifting. Click here --> http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?subcatID=18

Hell, I wouldn't mind changing the tranny fluid for you but I don't know how far you are from cottage grove? maybe your neighbor could help you too? I bought my Redline at Summit Racing online. I think Jegs sells it too. You won't be disappointed with it.

About your vibrating at 55-60 MPH. It's probably just unbalanced tires or bad tires. I noticed the same problem with mine and not only were they unbalanced, but the tread was starting to separate. Scary :nervous: So check your tires over good.

Have fun man. I bet your very happy to finally have your Z at home :)