IGNORED

New and improved! Bimonthly poll of the month

hls30.com

What Zcars do you have? counting works in progress, but NOT parts cars!  

327 members have voted

1. 1. What Zcars do you have? counting works in progress, but NOT parts cars!

• 240Z Series one bone stock
    • 240Z Series two bone stock
    • 240Z customized
    • 260Z bone stock
    • 260Z customized
    • 280Z bone stock
    • 280Z customized
    • 280ZX bone stock
    • 280Z customized
    • 280ZX
    • 280ZXT
    • 300ZX(T) (Z31)
    • 300ZX (T, TT) Z32
    • 350Z
    • It aint a Z anymore!

Easy answer, the 240Z Z designer no longer worked for Nissan-he retired! The 350Z was in the works-it was an "Oh, by the way, we need this by tomorrow" thing. The designer had never seen a 240Z emblem...

Actually it was probably to tie the old and the new together for the advertising campaign.

Will

The 350Z was in the works-it was an "Oh, by the way, we need this by tomorrow" thing. The designer had never seen a 240Z emblem....

Will

Along with not ever seeing the 240Z emblem, I believe the designer of the 350Z never saw a 240Z :tapemouth ROFL

Vicky

V12Horse,

When you really get down to it, a bone stock original could not be driven on the street, it would have to be a garage/trailer queen-Nissan has never supplied a license tag that was approved by any government as standard equipment from the factory.

Will

Hi Will, to me, this would be sad. These cars can be preserved and driven a few thousand miles a year and still be time capsules. My neighbor has a MGTF that gets miles only through being driven on and off of the trailer for shows. Yes it is beautiful, but no kids get to see it driving around. Cars are nice at shows, but they are so much better to see on the road to me. Put the original tires and other little bits on for shows, but drive it please. My car is by no means a show car, but I maintain it meticulously and drive it about 7000 miles a year and it looks better than ever.

-Ben

p.s. Vicky, I said most cars probably are not bone stock. Yours definately is and I aknowledged that. Maybe there are that many bone stockers. Who am I to judge. At Z shows there are very far and few in between "bone" stockers. Is it sad? That is subjective.

I am with you, while there is excitement in finding parts, detailing, and seeing a car at home in your driveway (or garage), there is no greater excitement than hitting the twisties, right after a tuneup, with some sticky tires, some high octane, and your favorite music(the rythm of a straight six of course!)!!

Will

Good Lord! It scares to type this because it may take a lifetime to "finish" these:

'71 240Z HLS3008323 08/70 --Just lucked into this one and as such it may have to get bumped ahead of some of the later cars in the fleet. This car would have to be classified as stock since some of the "consumables" haven't been consumed (i.e. original dist. cap, etc..)

'77 280Z HLS30366531 12/76 --Thanks to 240ztt for finding this car at the entrance to his office complex. This car would also have to be classified as stock. This car doesn't need anything however, in the interest of recondtioning it will have alot of new Nissan parts installed over the next few years. Most interesting thing about this car was finding the invoice from February of 1977 in the owner's manual.

'78 280Z HLS30437667 11/77-- This is my avatar car and is in need of everything. It has just had its floors and floor supports (Zedd Findings parts) welded in. I bought this one from the original owner 4 years ago and even though in '95 it had $8,000.00 worth of paint and bodywork completed it has managed to have rust chase it down again. This would definitely not be stock thanks to the wheels and modified suspension etc...

'78 280Z HLS30448652 02/78--This is the car that was rescued froma junkyard almost seven years ago and it would also be considered modified thanks to suspension mods and '82 280ZX motor swap. The engine bay has now been sanded and repainted and looks nothing like the pics in my gallery.

'78 280Z HLS30456240 04/78--This is what is affectionatley called the "DD" car having been purchased from Datsun Dynamics two years ago. This car would definitely not be considered stock. It has only a paint job and some minor interior work needed to be complete (for now).

'81 280ZX 04/81--This car is stock except for its wheels. It will need a few rust spots to be tended to in the next year or two. This car had $17,000.00 lavished on it by owner number three (I am #5 and #2 & #4 are the same person). The records go back to June 4,1981 when it was purchased new at San Diego Datsun. This is a starnge base model 280ZX as it has no power steering, manual windows, European side moldings and rear window wiper delete. It has an older style radio (like the '79/'80) and also doesn't have cruise control nor the 10 function check.

'86 300ZX 01/23/86 production date--This car is definitely not stock thanks to the suspension mods and wheels. This being a hardtop 300ZX and one year sepcific bodywork, I have lavished more attention on it than necessary. The list of parts replaced is way too long and continues to grow like bacteria. Good advice for anyone considering purchasing a Z31: don't! The factory parts are becoming difficult to come by and the engine bay is not user friendly.

'03 350Z 11/14/02 production date-- This car is defnitiely bone stock and will continue to remain so for many years thanks to the one year only color: Brickyard Red (AX8). The fact that I ordered this as a base model makes it somewhat hard to find as most people wanted a "loaded" 350Z. Currently this one sits in the garage in Florida enjoying its "mothball" status at 23,000 miles since 01/03/03 delivery.

(And this is just the Z cars)

Wow, Daddz! Now that's an explanation all right! I like it.

With all that information we could almost add to the Vin # listing at zhome.

I wonder if Carl Beck would allow that database to be expanded to. Items such as what the car has now in various categories would definitely go a long way to developing our own "Z carfax" history. Granted it would only be after members here sell their cars to others, but the thought of the benefit down the road is tantalizing.

E

• 2 weeks later...

Since my 72 series 3 doesn't have a category I put it into modified 240z....as you pointed out Will to Carl, I still wouldn't put it in Series 2 bone stock, although it is close to bone stock, it is not a Series 2.