IGNORED

Racecar replica

Emil

Wow - interesting! I have the bill of sale for 26th and as a time reference, she was delivered in May of 1970. Appears as though we were winning races just about the time we were hitting the streets in America.

Emil,

Let's talk about this in PMs and emails.

jmark,

My current avatar image depicts SCCN works driver Moto Kitano crossing the finish line of the "Race De Nippon" event, held on 12th April 1970, in his SCCN works Fairlady Z432-R. He shared the car with fellow SCCN works driver Masahiro Hasemi, and they took pole position and won the race overall as well as their GTS class.

This was the first major race win for the S30-series Z car worldwide, I believe.

Thanks Alan. I guess that is the same Hasemi that makes performance parts today. I have been reading some S30 history and see where the 240Z competed at Le Mans.

Last week, actually about five days ago, I was out early in the central city of Korat while my family and I are on vacation and was walking down one of the main arteries in the city. I was going past a garage and thought I saw an interesting and familiar shape in the depths of this garage. What I found was a 240Z G-nose with an RB-20 engine modification. I was able to get a few pictures of this vehicle in the next couple of days and if I can reduce the size of the photos, I'll post them.

post-1464-14150795458401_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1415079545868_thumb.jpg

post-1464-14150795458871_thumb.jpg

Jmark,

This is the popular picture from LeMans, I think in 1972, whenever Z heritage is discussed. Speed Vision did a show on the Porsche Rennsport Reunion II in Daytona and included a lot of old racing footage. In one of those, Jackie Icks passes this car in a cornering scene.

post-4148-14150795459159_thumb.jpg

Jmark,

This is the popular picture from LeMans, I think in 1972, whenever Z heritage is discussed. Speed Vision did a show on the Porsche Rennsport Reunion II in Daytona and included a lot of old racing footage. In one of those, Jackie Icks passes this car in a cornering scene.

Yes that is the image in one of the Z books I just recently bought. Anybody know if there is any japanese books on the history of the Z? Especially its racing history.

This is the popular picture from LeMans, I think in 1972, whenever Z heritage is discussed.

Hi 26th-Z,

The picture shows the car in the 1975 race. The same car ran again in the 1976 event, ending with a fatal crash.

The car was an ex-SCCN Works circuit race car from Japan, and not the ex-Works rally car that it was pretended to be by the attachment of the rear number plate. We've covered the subject on this site before a few times I remember.

jmark,

Hard to recommend any one book in particular. You might need a collection of Japanese 'mooks' ( magazine books ) and even then they tend to miss a lot out.

The definitive book is still waiting to be written.......

Hi 26th-Z,

The picture shows the car in the 1975 race. The same car ran again in the 1976 event, ending with a fatal crash.

The car was an ex-SCCN Works circuit race car from Japan, and not the ex-Works rally car that it was pretended to be by the attachment of the rear number plate. We've covered the subject on this site before a few times I remember.

jmark,

Hard to recommend any one book in particular. You might need a collection of Japanese 'mooks' ( magazine books ) and even then they tend to miss a lot out.

The definitive book is still waiting to be written.......

:cry: Didn't know about the fatal crash....The book needs to be written about the Z S30 racing worldwide.

Mark,

I would second that opinion! What a demanding task that would be given the many continents and years that the cars span. As time goes by it will only become more difficult as records and memories are allowed to fade. Brian Long seems to do fairly well with his books on classic Japanese motorcars although, I have found a few instances of mislabeling pictures in his books.

Thanks for clarifying the picture, Alan. Yes, I remember several discussions in the archives. A book would be a good seller, IMO. From my own experiences, a firm grasp of the Japanese language is going to be required to publish something in English.

I'll mention that if you are interested in Nissan GTP and Group C racing, a good book is "Lightning Speed" by John Starkey. http://www.johnstarkeycars.com/pages/publish_ca.html

John does very well with the American portion of the racing scene and the Group C information is covered...eh... pretty well, but has errors and ommissions.

• 6 years later...