IGNORED

Seat mechanism covers

GunnerRob

• 2 weeks later...

The molding and casting process will begin Monday. I'm told it will take about 6 weeks to complete this process. I wish the time was shorter, but the reason it's going to take so long is because I'm having them done professionally, and sometimes doing things professionally means having to wait my turn (so much for me getting instant gratification). I'm going to look into a faster and better method of coating these covers than I was originally considering. I'll let you all know what I've decided on after I make a decision.

I haven't forgot about all of you who are onboard with me in this, and I promise to keep you informed of the progress as it happens.

First things first. There are variables in manufacturing and finishing processes out of my control that will determine the final price. I will know a final price after I know what the parts cost to make. At this time it's too early to tell. I don't want to say they'll cost $XX.XX today and come back later when they're ready and ask for $YY.YY. That wouldn't be fair to you all or myself. I will say however, that the value of these covers will far exceed that of the original plastic covers and be sold at a fair price.

All I ask is that you have patience with the time frame and judge the final product with your wallet after it is ready to sell.

Thanks again,

Rob

I actually just found someone that sells repro plastic ones...they are charging $59.99 and I think that's too much.

They are also selling the glove box for 240s for $40...

http://www.datsunrestore.com/catalog.html

I think $59.99 would be too much even for the metal ones, but I would consider it when you factor in they shouldn't break, and last a long long time.

One thing I learned along the way is when you get the new drivers seat mech cover, make sure when tightening the 4 seat mounting bolts that your seat is pushed to the center or the car. That way when the seat is slid all the way back it won't rub on the seat belt lower cover and damage it.

One thing I learned along the way is when you get the new drivers seat mech cover, make sure when tightening the 4 seat mounting bolts that your seat is pushed to the center or the car. That way when the seat is slid all the way back it won't rub on the seat belt lower cover and damage it.

Hi Z Excellence,

The seat mechanism covers are usually installed with the seat in the car. There are three tiny screws that the covers mount to the seat frame with and they are located on the front, top, and rear of the cover. In fact, I would recommend that they be installed with the seat(s) already in the car and moved far forward on it's track.

(5-26-05)

OK...I get it now. :stupid: You were saying to move the seats toward the driveshaft (propeller) tunnel before tightening the bolts. That makes sense. Thanks for the tip!

• 2 months later...

I've run into a glitch with the manufacturing of the covers. The process used to produce them shrinks them too much and has made the first batch of covers unusable. I'll see if something can be done to remedy this problem, then get back to you all.

Sorry for the delay,

Rob

• 5 years later...