IGNORED

Zspecialties Alternator?????

ZIII

Zspecialties is selling a 105 Amp alternator said to be a plug & play unit into a 70-73 Z. The stock voltage regulator is not used with this unit. So, it is either removed or bypassed. Was wondering if anyone has purchased this unit and what they thought of it.

I am only concerned that I am going to burn up wires with all this amperage. Should I be concerned? Is 105 Amps too much?

George

Do you need that many amps? Sounds like a lot for an electrical system that was marginal at 45-60 amps.

If the alt you are asking about has it's own internal v reg, you will have to bypass the original one in the car. Couple of wires will need to be jumpered, and a diode will need to be installed.

No that it matters at all but I wouldn't put an Alt with that high of amperage in my car. Other people might, but I wouldn't.

Don't need it for one thing, haven't got any equipment in the car that demands that amount of current.

Secondly, if I did have equipment in the car that would draw that amount of current, I'd be afraid that my wiring loom would FRY.

Carl,

My thoughts exactly.... I I don’t have equipment that requires such amperage… a small 35w power amp and a set of PIAA fog lamps on a separate relay is all I have. Perhaps one of these days I may go to stronger headlights but that is in the future.

Two things come into play here. First, the original alt which I have is barely sufficient for the car as it stands. That is a given. It could do with a higher amp alt especially at idle. This amp from Zspecialties has a built in regulator, does not require a diode to properly shut off as that is built-in the wiring, and it uses the same belt and attachment. Second, while I think a somewhat larger alt would be nice to have this one is a plug and play that the seller; nice, informative, knowledgeable man named Oliver, says will not harm wiring or switches. His web site in case you want to take a look is:

http://www.zspecialties.com/hotdeal.htm

On the one hand, as you stated, I am nervous about it as the amp rate is so high, on the other hand I like the convenience of just switching alt’s. I am just not sure what this would do to the wiring…..

George

I'm not familiar with this alt, but the other (Maxima, and ZX) Alt's also had an internal reg. and people still needed to jump two wires and put in a diode in the plug ( of the cars wiring) that would have formerly been used for the original v reg.

I'm no electrical wiz, but I can't see why this wouldn't still be a requirement as it's the car's wiring that's not set up for the internal reg.

Perhaps this is another good reason why I'm sticking with the external reg alt, though I will upgrade from a 45 to a 60 amp unit in due time.

What makes you nervous about a 105 Amp alternator? It isn't going to PUSH the current through the wires, it will just allow you to DRAW that much. What should make you nervous is those old wires and corroded connectors trying to pass the power your electrical devices are trying to draw might make the wires 'warm.' In that case, either replacing certain wires, or cleaning the contacts, or fixing the devices with decrease the current draw, can make you feel better.

It looks like you could have gone with something like a 60 or 75 amp unit.

thx

ZIII, you can search on zcar.com about alternator upgrades. I believe I have read that you can run a 12 guage cable (like a battery cable) from the BAT connection on the alternator, to the positive terminal on the battery. This should aliveate any problems with running that high amp alternator. Once again I may be mistake. Search zcar.com

I have considered going with a 78-79 280 Alt and have read all the write-ups about converting to an internal regulated alt. The 78-79 stock alt is rated at 60 amps (LR160) and the 280 turbo is rated at 70 amps. According to all I have read using either one of these is apparently fine.

In this case, Zspecialties has this 105 amp alternator that is a direct exchange for the 240 stock. You don’t have to change belts, pulley, insert diodes, change wiring etc. It’s easy, and a direct swap. I understand what TomoHawk is saying that it is not going to push current through the wires but rather it’s there to draw. I also just want to be sure that it will not do any harm….

George

105 and a direct swap....

some warning bells here, I suspect that the alternator may be rated at 105, however withour changing the regulator you won't be getting any more amps than you already have.

Really the best advice is if you want a direct swap without a diode etc, then find a 260 that's in bits and use the altenator from that.

I can't speak for the ZX/Maxima alt swap.. But I did do the AC/Delco alt replacement in my 71 z.

I purchased the V-8 z engine conversion manual frmo JTR, and after thumbing through it I read the electrical part and how to wire up a GM alt.

It was pretty easy to do as long as you follow the instuctions. At the sametime I also installed an updated fuseable link into the electrical system, hoping that it'll protect the car in case of a dead short.

I did have to buy the modified alt bracket to bolt up the GM alt to the z, but other than that it works pretty well, No more dim head lights, and slow wind shield wipers at idle any more.

Just got to remember that once the engine starts up, to gas it to get the RPM's over 1000 for a few seconds to get the alt excitor circuit to kick in to start charging the battery.

I know of this alternator and it really works great . i have the 105 amp version and have had it on my car for 7 years and have had no problems . what you have to do is disconect your regulator because it is a 1 wire self excited alt . the alternaotor only puts out what your battery needs to maintain itself so if you are only drawing 35-40 amps , that is all it will put out . if you are drawing more than that the alternator automatically adjusts to the output it needs to , up to 105 amps . it is a direct bolt on and you dont even have to change belts or pulley . i highly recomend this if you are running a big stereo system or extra ralley lights . also this alternator does not need any extra mounting brackets . i hope this helps you out