IGNORED

nice car but way over priced

dat240z71

Who are you Ron? You sound like a young ricer IMO

If Carl says someone he knows what trying to sell a car...take his word on it...he isn't someone to disrespect in this forum.

I LOVE the illuminated heater panel on the 73...I wish the 72 was like that...but the 2.5mph bumpers would have to go....

Do anyone think that BRE racer would go for 100K on here?

Dogma, first this is a discussion and not a flame. And we can agree to disagree.

1)(enjoy your lunch was said in fun based off of your wendys comment, not as an insult) this is not a personal attack.

2) I dont see any posting from "Carl" on this thread, do you mean Carl Beck? I know Carl Beck pretty well. We have spoken many times in regards to his restoration of his BRE Z. There is no disrespect meant...I dont know what you are referring too!?

3) I have a very clear understanding of how eBay works, and several of the cars you claim have not sold, in fact have sold at prices upwards of 30k. No, I dont have immediate documentation, But I do know one of Les Cannaday's clients that attempted to buy several of the Nissan remanufactured Z's off of ebay for just less than 30K and missed out (I understand he tried on several occasions) So he just spent 38k for a full restoration of a 70.

4) I am not a " Young Ricer"

5) I have owned (and driven) and more than 4 240Z's over the last 15+ years and currently my BRE replica can be viewed from the link on my signature, or in the most recent copy of Sports Car International.

6) There is only one original "roadracing" BRE Z left and it is Gerry Mason's. This car has tons of history and if it were for sale would get those kinds of numbers. I know that Nissan would buy the car if it ever came up for sale BTW. They (Nissan) has made it clear to me that if i ever sell my car that they are interested.

7) what do you call a "normal" restoration? and how do you value that?

8) Who am I! My name is right on my posts, I have spent the last 2 years building my BRE replica and I can tell you from first hand knowledge that it would cost at least 30k to do a good restoration starting today. Who are you!?

9) You can put an illuminated 73 heater panel in your 72. I put one in one of my 71's.

10) Remember in written form there is no way to read in the"tone" of a conversation.

My car is not for sale, it has value to me past $$$. However, My friend Dave sold his BRE 510 replica to Adam Corrola (formerly of the man show) for 19.5k about a year and a half ago. That car graced the cover of Grassroots Motorsports a few months back....

2) I dont see any posting from "Carl" on this thread, do you mean Carl Beck?

He may have meant me. I am Carl.

I am not in my 70's (though I hope to make it some day in about 17 years) but I haven't seen any Z's reach the figures that you stated.

Now perhaps you have better information than I (wouldn't be the first time that's happened) but IMO, from my experience, I haven't seen even one "normal Z (I'm excluding race cars, BRE Z's etc) approach $38K-$50K purchase price.

The car I referred to in an earlier post is a 1971 240Z with approx 18K original miles on it (IIRC). Burt D. got some bids and almost sold it for $30K at one point, but the sale was not completed. Subsequent auctions have yeilded lower and lower final bids (the last one I saw was $22K) and the car still has not been sold AFAIK.

Thanks Carl,

As the cost of a restoration goes up, the value of our cars will go up, which I think is a positive thing. We value our marque. I think that we will see very fine specimens selling for the kind of numbers I quoted in the very near future.

I would like to make it to 70 as well, and beyond... :) This is the last year I can say I am 30 something.

Ron

I would not be suprised to see an original BRE racer with a documented history (photos ect...) go for 100K. Important historic race cars such as an original BRE are sought after by collectors who pay big dollars for them. 100K really is not that much in the world of rare collector cars these days.

Thanks for the reply Ron, I understand your position a lot better now. No I'm not trying to start anything here either, just a fast typer thinking as he types...so apologies if my tone sounds really bad in these posts.

I was talking about Bambi Killer when I mentioned Carl...he's a great source of info and most of what he says should be considered great info and not something to even question....that's all I'm saying about that....

What I consider a 'normal' restoration would be to go through and make sure 100% no rust...no bondo....repaint (enginer and interior compartments as well)....nothing broken (if its replaceable)....could be a daily driver but more than likely garaged and a weekend driver only. NO frame off resto with this kind (which makes the 100% no rust very hard to do, but I would think that would be a goal).

A councours would be a rotisserie (sp) or an acid dip (like 26th Z) and everything done exactly like a Zed that just came out of the factory door...and I mean everything...like having yellow paint on top of the shock tower bolts....this car would normally get 1st place in stock class no matter where it is being showed would be considered the 'councours' (sp) resto.

I am not into cars very much...in fact if teleportation was invented, I'd get rid of them all, including the Z (because she'd be angry that I'd never drive her)...I would of course try to sell it to someone on here if that happened....

I own it cause since its 33+ years old, there is always something to do on it, its a challenge doing it with barely any money...and the car, with my suspension techniques sway bars added last year drives just like a go-kart with no suspension....i mean with original never replaced shocks/springs and the sway bars, this car is fun!!!! I plan on getting a set of the tokico illums and springs with one of those deals on E bay, getting some 15" rewinds (cause the price MSA is selling them for looks good)...I'm currently working on a 280zx block that I want to put into it....then I'm going to drive it a few more years....then I'm gonna restore it probably on a rotisserie (sp) and have fun doing that. I am not really into Japanese cars, but the Zed is imo the closest to something American from the same era in regards to simplicity and ability to work on...I simply despise working on cars of today...(and have them worked on by my mechanic friends)...

It would be great if one day this car appreciated to those levels of $33+ but I really couldn't care, cause like you, its worth to me personally more than whatever I could get for it....but geeze, at those figures, my rig should be worth at least 8,000 and I just know nobody is going to buy it for that...I have been offered 3,000 on the street on the spot before (and declined) but I don't know....I just have never heard of any standard Z selling for that much, I don't know why anyone would buy one of the dealer restored ones (for $30k), when they are basically not a clean title technically...I guess if you aren't someone like us on this forum and don't know a lot about Zs and you were rich you would buy one for $30k.

The way I see if is if when 26th Z gets his vin 26 car completely done (and he's a judge at these shows so he knows exactly how to make this rig look) that car should be worth at least twice as much as one of the factory rigs...at least to someone in the know. and I mean if there was a vin 27 factory restore rig versus 26th Z's vin 26 restored by him...the factory cars are just not in the same league.

Just my .02 dollars.

ps. I don't eat at Wendy's...no fast food for my beer gut...go watch the movie Super Size Me and you'll know what I'm talking about, heh.

Ya all have a Zed ful weekend,

I have to go home and drink some Bridgeport IPAs...!!! Beandip and EScolon (sp?) know what I'm talkin' about!

Yes I agree completely , 100k is really quite reasonable for a BRE car, I think just watching some of the recent auctions that took place on tv really amazed me how much of a market there was for race cars and how much they are treasured by collectors, used to be alot of the cars were crushed after they were used for racing. I think anyone who would be willing to pay 30k for a 240z wouldn't buy it off ebay, it would be a private sale. I was recently asked how much I would sell my 71 43k <documented> 240 for after it came out from being painted and I said I honestly doubt I would consider anything under 30k'ish and the person wasn't really phased by it, is the car worth it, who knows, only the person thats willing to part with the 30k knows that. But I know do know thats the size check it would take for me to make my pain go away. :)

Very true Will , very seriously doubt I would take it anyway, it would be like selling a family member < not that I haven't thought about that once or twice atleast the human ones > . What can you get for a mother inlaw these days?

Dogma,

I hear you. My first 240Z was my daily driver up until about 8 years ago. It was always a challenge to keep her on the road when I could barely rub two dimes together.

You get that teleporting thing worked out and give me a call, okay!

I will have to settle for a Stone Brewing, Arogant Bastard Ale. From our local brewery tonight!

Yeah, Mc D's no thanks.

Ron