IGNORED

'72 on ebay

hls30.com

Pick this one apart!

I figure it is a $6,000 to $8000 car on a good day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4536198385&category=6187

Too many things that are wrong with the "restoration", but a nice car.

Check out all of the fluf and the pompas knowledge!

Will

Woof! 13K and climbing, WAY too much for that car (IMHO).

This one caught my eye...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6187&item=4535949215&rd=1

I've always thought white was a very nice Z color. If the price doesnt go up too much, this could be a nice catch.

This guy's history lesson appears to be Waaaay Out of Whack (Goertz again!). Of course the Buy It Now of $23.5K should have told me to not be surprised by anything he put in the auction.

This is NOT meant to be a comprehensive list of oddities found in the auction

Air Cleaner is a weird color

Rear Suspension is McPherson Struts??? :stupid:

Driver Door is interesting. I've thought about putting a "Jesus" handle on it like the passenger door (in fact, I bought an extra for that purpose)

Cargo Straps are missing for rear deck area

I wonder, in what language the book was written where he quoted that "Gret Britan" received 549 240Z's mfg'd in 1972

Woof! 13K and climbing, WAY too much for that car (IMHO).

No bids yet, that is just the opening bid amount that the seller is demanding. Let's see if he gets any bids!

This one caught my eye...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6187&item=4535949215&rd=1

I've always thought white was a very nice Z color. If the price doesnt go up too much, this could be a nice catch.

That ISN'T a BRE front spoiler

Hi Guys:

Boy... 240-Z's must be way less expensive where you live...

The Yellow car:

Actually looks like it might be a pretty nice example.

Let's say that it inspects out... as described.. and that in fact it is a stand up example..One that would stand up to serious inspection.

Lets say that the paint and body were done correctly for a serious "refresh".. car stripped to a body shell, then body and paint work done to at least factory quality or better.. then the car was reassembled with care to the details etc..

It would sell pretty quickly around here for between $12K and $14K today.

The minor problems with the Air Cleaner, door panels etc could be corrected without too much work/expense. (Carl, I think that might be a Fairlady door panel on the drivers side... a lot of them came in and got sold as OEM for the US 240-Z's... which of course they weren't). But then he has speakers in the door panels, so you'd have to replace them anyway if you wanted "stock"....

A rust free California owned 240-Z in unrestored, but very good condition is today a $5K to $6.5K car...(solid frame rails and floorboards etc).

"Refresh" it today and you will easily spend a year of your spare time and an additional $18K.

From the pictures and description... this Yellow car looks like a solid $3 car.

The White 72...

We don't know the quality of the "respray" but it sounds like the car was just mask off, and top coated.. Wrong hood, wrong carpeting, cracked dash... Lots of minor issues and problems.. Nonetheless, it should be in that $5K to $6.5K range...This car would most likely be a very good driver, that later would have the possibility of being fully refreshed or even restored.. the current owner most likely has twice that amount in it... and in a few years he'll be kicking himself in the rear end, for ever letting it go... a few years from now he won't be able to replace it for twice that amount either...

If it inspected out.. to be as represented... it would most likely be a pretty good deal on a 240-Z today at anywhere near, plus or minus $6.5K. Someone back east might go as high as $7.5K...

Of course we all know that pictures tell you nothing... we would have to physically inspect either of these closely... There is however a big difference between the two, in terms of their overall quality.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Clearwater, FL

http://ZHome.com

(Carl, I think that might be a Fairlady door panel on the drivers side... a lot of them came in and got sold as OEM for the US 240-Z's... which of course they weren't). But then he has speakers in the door panels, so you'd have to replace them anyway if you wanted "stock"....

That certainly could be the case. Even if not, I've noticed what I believe to be provisions in my 72 HLS driver door (itself) for a handle to be installed. All that would be needed (it appears) would be to poke holes in the upholstered door panel. Could it be possible that the doors for HS and HLS models are the same, thus a provison for the handle to be on either door depending on vehicle configuration?

I'm not sure that I agree with Will's valuation of the car, but IMO the opening bid amount is very close to the absolute top value it would draw in my area.

Wee will all know what it was worth to one person in a few days.

hehe the yellow car is not bad. I don't care much for the wheels or front air dam I do like the rear view mirrors. Only problem with the car i can see is the roll cage. I think it's a bit far forward and in the way. I've seen much nicer more practical set ups in a Z before.

Why would you want a roll cage in a mostly stock Z anyway?

Is it just me or does the wiring behind the fusebox on the yellow Z look like it's been through it with Phyllis Diller's hairstylist? (Look at the picture taken from the passenger door looking towards the interior and center console)