IGNORED

Zed?

SuperDave

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language version:

Zed (zed) n. Chiefly British. The letter z. [Middle English zed, from Old French Zede, from Late Latin zeta, ZETA.].

zee (ze) n. The letter z

Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to make the symbols indicating the long sounds over the e's etc.

Then there's the Oxford English Dictionary listing for Z:

Z - /zed, US zee/ (also z)

• noun (pl. Zs or Z’s) 1 the twenty-sixth letter of the alphabet. 2 (usu. z) the third unknown quantity in an algebraic expression. 3 used in repeated form to represent buzzing or snoring.

I've heard on more than one occasion that Americans (in the U.S.) pronounce their words much more like the Old English spoken at the time when the "Colonies" split with England. I believe I've heard similar claims about the English spoken in Australia. Something to do with isolation from mother country and the fact that the English spoken in England developed and changed more quickly and those people separated by the ocean failed to keep up with the latest changes and idioms. It would be hard to believe the same is true today, as American English is sometimes unrecognizable to me and I live here. The metre, litre, colour, etc. are all left over from the French aren't they? Even though the English often pride themselves on mispronouncing French words like fillet (fill-it)

What does all this mean? I don't know, but when in college we had lots of kids from Vancouver, BC and Calgary, Alberta and other Canadian towns and I never could get used to 240Zed and Zed28. Nothing wrong with it, just always caught me off guard eh? And I live four miles from the Canadian border. At my newspaper we are used to putting in advertising that spells things Center or Centre, Color or Colour, etc. depending on the audience the advertiser is trying to reach. It's amazing how many Canadians and Americans don't even realize we spell things differently.

I think I'll go with the Oxford Dictionaries last definition for Z/Zed and catch some ZZZ ZZZ ZZZs.

:rolleyes:

Apart from the words like colour, centre, cheque, realise, one of spelling we did adopt from the British is the spelling for tires. I wonder why that is? I think Australians spell it tyres as well as the British?

Apart from the words like colour, centre, cheque, realise, one of spelling we did adopt from the British is the spelling for tires. I wonder why that is? I think Australians spell it tyres as well as the British?

Yes, tyres it is....

Anymore before Alan & Enrique arrive with differences between Spanish & Japanese.

ROFLROFL

MOM

actually the french say "zed". it's still a "z" to me ;)

Ahh, I was misled by a frenchman then. Maybe that was he "pet name" for his z car.

And now for something completely different.

Whats you pet name for your z car if you have one?

Mines known as "The Zed" as in "Going out to the garage to work on The Zed".

The Silvia is "The Little Car". Name inherited from the previous owner. Unless I think of something better. I Used to call it "the white car", but now I have 2 white cars, so that reverted back, and the other white car is "The Skyline".

Aussie Rob...you're a sad man. ROFL

New Zealand, meaning new land of ZEAL, or Aotearoa (local native language translated to "land of the long white cloud", named after the massive bank of shitty weather that sits on us that was expelled from the east coast of Aussie)

It should be called "land of the every lasting zed resto project" or "land of the self depleting wallet"

I'd love it to be full of Zeds or Zees really, but alas it isn't so.

What about Opzeeland?