IGNORED

Old Nissan Cedric

Mr Camouflage

Funny, there was a thread on this recently. Check out whats for sale on ebay.

It reads to me that this is the actual car from the movie!!

Wonder if the odometer has been around a time or two.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2030&item=4526392188&rd=1

At that price you cant afford not to. (if you are alot closer than me)

Many years ago, so far back in fact I cannot honestly say where I heard this ...but here goes;

The scene is Nissan Japan, early 1960's. The players are market researchers (or the equivalent) and a gathering of motoring journalists from Australia. Nissan was keen for some Australian market penetration and was canvassing the visiting journos with names that they hoped would be appealing to the Australian public at large. Now one must understand the perception of the name "Cedric" in Australia in the early '60's to appreciate what happens next. In some circles if a guy was a bit of a "Mummys boy" or overtly effeminate he might be referred to as "A bit of a Cedric".(try and say it with a lisp...you'll get the picture!) Gawd only knows how this name ended up on the list of names to run by the Journos but the story goes when it did, one of the journos, in a bit of a private Aussie joke , turned to one of his mates in the room and said (tongue in cheek!) " 'Ay , here's a good one...CEDRIC!! There's a few "Cedrics" in Australia isn't there mate ...hurhur hur!"...and thought no more of it, just a light moment in a day at the office.

Well... the Japanese researchers, not being endowed with an Aussie sense of humour, or privvy to the alternative meaning, took this as a sign of a standout name that would be well accepted by the masses, after all, if they get excited enough to yell it out and draw attention to it .....well it must be a winner! The rest is marketing history! ROFL

Like I said, this story was relayed to me as fact, but if it's not quite the truth...well it's still a good laugh :cheeky:

Cheers chaps :laugh:

Jim.

That story reminds me of another Jap car with a questionable name. Mitsubishe, having produced the Colt during the '60s (and with Ford selling the horse-named Mustang), they brought out the Starion. Which, if you were Japanese is how you would say Stallion! ROFL

Surely there's some Jinglish confusion going on there!?!

Can anyone hear tell me more about the president which was released in 1965 or so. I read on an earlier link that it had such technologies like air conditiong and power windows, astounding. I drive a car from '97 and it does not have power windows!

I read on an earlier link that it had such technologies like air conditiong and power windows, astounding. I drive a car from '97 and it does not have power windows!

This got me curious so I did a quick web search:

First power windows in a car: 1946

Automotive air conditioning: 1939

http://www.sae.org/sae100/history/timeline/timeline.htm

Gee thanks Mike, that really make me feel good about the car I am driving ROFL

Hey, don't feel bad. My daily driver is a 1990 240SX (Sylvia as it relates to the rest of this thread) without power windows. A/C is, of course, mandatory here in the Atlanta area.

• 7 months later...