IGNORED

rasing compression

dat240z71

After some research I have decided to go with a higher compression turbo motor. What I would like to know is what would be the best way to rase the compression on a turbo motor. When I use the LENGINE program there are two options I can go with. First being if I were to put a N42 head on the turbo block it would yield 8:5:1 or if I went with flat top pistons and p90 head it will yield 8:8:1compression. Which will be the better way to rase the compression and why?

Thanks

i dont know a whole lot but i thought that turbo motors had lower compression so that they wouldnt detonate with the extra pressure being pumped in from the turbo.

therefore i would say that you should leave the compression as it is, maybe up the boost from the turbo. my dad has a supra tt and when the turbo piping came off once it had about as much power as a 1.5 ton astra, indicating it has low compression but the turbo's supply pressure that provides the extra pressure that creates the extra power.

his car has about an 8:1 compression and runs about 16-19 puonds boost so i suppose the compression ratio you make the motor would depend on the amount of boost you are running.

therefore in answer to your question i would suggest that maybe you increase the boost supllied by the turbo's and fiddle with the bolt on stuff instead of major engine work.

dont take only my advice as i said i'm not an ultimate turbo guru but this is just my 2 cents.

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

First things first. To lower compression you need to put in a thicker metal head gasket. Most turbo manufacturers will carry a selection of different head gaskets of various engines

Hope this has been helpful.

Alex

The P90 head shaved is the much better option. It is a high flow head with larger ports so the air/flow mixture is not restricted like it is in the N42. The N42 doesn't have to be shaved because of the smaller ports it raises the compression. Its a 6 of one half a dozen of the other option, shave head means clearances become critical other wise a valve may say hello to your piston but less air restriction or quick fix high compression but not the efficent burn and with high horsepower cant get the excess air/fuel out......

If you start raising the compression where are you going to find the fuel with a high enough octain to keep from detonation? You can use booster but that will be a real pain in the butt for a driver. Sure you can up the compression and all of that how ever as bambikiller said this is a turbo your dealing with and even '' bullet proof'' Z engines can look like a gernade on a bad day. As what was offered before , look to the boost and maby a inter cooler and hot ignition and cam and 2 1/2 exhoust. 2 cts.

that's what I was saying- I know this is a turbo motor, I work on turbo motors a lot and have seen many turbo cars running 9:1 compression and being fine. With a good ignition coil, well tunned fuel injection, a big FMIC and a compressor bypass valve, and you'll be fine at 8.8:1 if you run lower than 20psi of boost. Don't forget a hotter cam!

Dave