IGNORED

Rear end.. could someone help?

71Datsun240zMN

Brian Morrow used the R200 rear ends when he was building the Scarabs. Those cars were 327ci & 350ci, some with 350+ hp. He did put some kind of a plate on there to keep the rear end from "hopping". Served as a traction control and stabilizer of some sort. I have the name and a picture of the plate up under the rear end at home. Will try and load it up when I get home. I just cannot think of what it's called. (Getting old and the mind is going LOL )

Vicky

I asked a guy who used to converts Z's into drag cars the same question. He had one at his shop that he was working on so the subject came up.

Besides stiffening the rear of the car with a roll cage he said that the stock diff on the Z could hold up to some serious HP. He frequently intalled big block's into these cars with the stock rear end.

Converting the stock R-180 to a R-200 would provide piece of mind if you don't trust the stock diff.

Using a rear end from a camaro would be a "Monster Garage" type job. Not only would you have to shorten the width but attaching it to the body would require some work.

Talk to the guys at HybridZ and see what they suggest.

A R200 will take just about what ever you can throw at it. a R180 is a bit weaker. Once you go R200, your biggest problem is the axles - most notably the U-joints in them. You'll need to convert to the later CV axles. But, a 280's R200 is just about as close to a bolt-on you can get.

:stupid: You need to check with the Org. you plan on racing with. Some places require you run a solid axle after you reach a set speed at the track (mostly drag racing). The R200 will take some heavy horsepower before breaking. I run a Chevy 383 small block in one Z and have the R200 under it. But I also mostly road race with it. It has held up well here. I would first find out what you need at the track you plan on going to and go from there. Then go to WWW.HybridZ.org to find out most of all the info you will need to help make it work. They have the best site for info on any thing needed to make changes (performance) to the Z. Good Luck, Rich.

• 3 weeks later...

The R200 particularly when fitted with a NISMO LSD will take all the power you want to throw at it until you get to drag levels really - I would expect mine to cope with 600BHP easily (only 420 going in though).

The issue you will have is the final driveshafts, you need to get the diff to wheel angle right and uprate the shafts. Many use CV jointed 280ZX parts, but JTR imply that the joints are prone to failure if driven hard all the time (surely the point of a V8 conversion). I have been offered custom made Formula1 style driveshafts but the price was so far out of the question I will use the JTR conversions.

JTR suggest using Chevrolet U Joints at each end and can supply a flange that fits an R200 diff and uses a Chevy U joint.

see www.jagsthatrun.com

Some corrections:

it's not the amount of horsepower a rear end will accomodate, but the torque. R180 will not hold up to more than 300ft lbs for prolonged periods of time (hard launches). r200 will hold up to about 400-450 ft lbs of torque.

Those aren't your weakest link, however. Your half shafts are. They're prone to snapping ~350 ft lbs. You can use an r200, but convert it to CV axle. I'd personally recommend an r200 lsd from an 88-89 turbo 300zx with cv axle swap. Pretty much bulletproof. Another option which requires more money and time is the r230 from a q45. Viscous lsd in 3.545 gearing, basically an independent rear 9" diff.