IGNORED

Plans for rebuilding 240z motor.

I was wondering if these plans would boost the power of the 240 to around 200. Also, has anyone tried any of these, and do these sound like good ideas? I know it's a little over-kill, but you guys be the judge, im new at this.

My plans include:

Stage II, Performance Cam

Performance Pistons and rings

Motorsport headers

Turbo Exhaust system

Centerforce II clutch

New Flywheel

Mallory Dual Point Distributor

XR 70 Ignition

Crane LX-92 Coil

Iridium NGK plugs

Blue Taylor Hi-Pro wires

Rocker arm, lash pad, and spring kits

Weber 40DOCE tripple carb kit with Air Horns, and K&N filters

That's about it as far as the motor itself. I'll also add upgraded fuel filters and pump.

Other plans for the car include anti roll bars, anti sway bars, urithane bushings (if i can find them somewhere), vented disks in the front, performance pads all around, steel braided brake lines, rebuilt master cylinder, Tokico shocks and struts, and a short throw shifter.

Lots of work, but all at under 7000 bucks... So not too bad.

I'm might be wrong but, I don't think that with the modifications mentioned you will reach 200hp. From what I've seen even a modified L28 barely reaches the 200hp mark.

A few things to add to your list is to have some head work done. Larger valves, match port & polish. Bore out the L24, or replace with a L28 and bore it out.

Do some more homework and check with some of the racing engine builders.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

My plans include:

Stage II, Performance Cam

Performance Pistons and rings

Motorsport headers

Turbo Exhaust system

Centerforce II clutch

New Flywheel

Mallory Dual Point Distributor

XR 70 Ignition

Crane LX-92 Coil

Iridium NGK plugs

Blue Taylor Hi-Pro wires

Rocker arm, lash pad, and spring kits

Weber 40DOCE tripple carb kit with Air Horns, and K&N filters

Lots of work, but all at under 7000 bucks... So not too bad.

Without doing any head work like port/polish, larger valves, shaving the head, etc., you won't get close to 200hp. The cam, Webers, and exhaust should only gain you about 15hp max. Keep in mind this is at the crank. I'm not sure about the pistons, though. I don't think you can get much more than the stock pistons as they are flat-tops to begin with. Domed pistons will get you into interference issues. A lighter flywheel doesn't gain you any hp, but allows you to better use what you do have. That's what is meant by "free horsepower".

$7k seems like a lot to be spending on an L24 when you're in the search for 200+ hp. For that price, Rebello can build you a really nice, stroked 3.1L that will put you just over the 200hp mark, naturally aspirated.

Or, for between $3-5k, you can build up a smokin' L28 Turbo that will put down close to 300hp. I've seen guys do it for less, but to get the most out of the motor you need a programmable engine management system. Sport Z magazine did an article awhile back about a guy here in TX that dropped an L28T into his 240. At the time, the most expensive thing he had in the system was the ECU (about $1500). He could spin the tires almost at will at 70 mph! If I remember correctly, he was getting close to 400 hp at the wheels, but he kept blowing the head gasket.

They don't have a website (I guess they spend all their time building kick*ss engines). But here is their address info:

Rebello Racing

110 Second Ave. South #D-8

Pacheco CA 94553

(510)682-0103

Hope that helps. One of our members here has a Rebello 3.1L engine. Send a PM to Dreco and ask him about it.

My husbands motto during his entire engine construction "For maximun hp, build your engine from the inside out". He took the L28 as far as you could go and still keep it kinda, sorta, well you know.......street legal :rolleyes:

Vicky