IGNORED

want to put 240z bumpers on 280z

1wildzer

I have never done this conversion but I do know there are 2 different types of 240 bumpers. They changed to a different mounting set-up for the '73 cars. The early ones (70-72) just used a flat piece of steel w/ a slight bend in it. The '73's used a set-up somewhat similar to the shock mounts used on the 260's and 280's.

You're best bet would be to try and use the '73 bumpers since the mounting would be similar.

I have also heard that just mounting up the bumper on the standard 280 shock mounts will result in the bumper sticking WAY far out away from the car. To get around this you will have to collapse the mounts. This will not allow your new bumper set-up to absorb small impacts.

Anyone else with info on this correct me if I'm wrong.

• 1 year later...

Well the 240z and 280z bodys are the same. The Americans just wanted biger bumpers. God knows why... I dont see any problem, you'll just have to lightly placing the bumpers on to see if they fit coz u said u have everything and just want to know where to start :stupid:

Cheers

Chris Beattie

Originally posted by datto_240z

Well the 240z and 280z bodys are the same. The Americans just wanted biger bumpers. God knows why... I dont see any problem,

The bumpers on 240Z's look great, I agree, but if you've ever been in a minor "fender-bender" with them you'll know that they fold up like cardboard. They provide virtually no protection to the bodywork. The larger and FUGLEY bumpers that began to appear on US market 1973 240Z's and continued to grow larger as years went on, have an energy absorbtion system that helps protect the bodywork MUCH better.

PS To install thew 240 bumpers on a 280Z, I'm told (2nd hand info) that you need to remove all of the old bumper mountings (not just "collapse" them) and use the mount brackets for the 240Z style bumper

• 4 weeks later...

The method of installation is different for the front and rear bumpers.

Front:

Remove the front shock mounts and use the solid metal mounts from the 240 instead. They will bolt right up where the shock mounts used to and the bumper will fit exactly as it would on a 240. No wide gap.

Rear:

Yes you do have to collapse the shock mounts if you want to avoid a wide gap. To do this loosen the small screw in the middle of the bumper mounting plate of the shock mount. This is the hydraulic fluid fill point for the shocks. With the screw loosened give it a few whacks with a small sledge and the shock mount will collapse (and may well leak a little fluid). Retighten the screw when you have them collapsed.

Please note that the mounting bolts on the bumper will NOT line up with the holes in the shock mounts. You will have to use a piece of flat steel (about 1" wide by 1/4" thick) long enough to attach to both bumper shocks. Once you have it attached to the shocks line up the bumper (make sure that the gaps where the bumper attaches to the SIDES of the rear quarter panels are equal) and mark where the bumper attachment bolts meet the steel bar. Then drill appropriate sized holes in the steel bar, and you're ready to attach the bumper.

ALSO!! As Bambikiller240 points out, the 240 bumpers offer much less protection, especially with the shock mounts collapsed. Personally, however, I feel the improvement in looks is well worth the decrease in protection.

Cheers,

Peter

• 1 year later...