IGNORED

Insurace Question

Shiin

Was just wondering if any of you out there are able to get full coverage on your Z if so what have you done to get full coverage. I'm trying to convert my brother into a Z nut, but one main concern is insuraning the Z. I have liability, but don't know if you can get full coverage on it(at least my insurance company won't). Please help me out with this one guys. Thanks

Don't know what liability collision comp is. Is that like full coverage? When you said that your insurance paid you, did you cause the wreck or someone less. My first Z was wrecked while sitting on the side of the road and some H:finger: E that was sleepy backed into my Z and wrecked it.

As far as insurance goes can you get liability collision comp for a Z with a salvaged title?

I want full because of location that my car is sometimes located(in Oakland, CA) and vandels love to jack cars for no reason. My friend had is doors kicked in, keyed and his hood, roof and trunk jumped on and is insurace covered him for vandelism and that's what I want, full protection on the car. Is it possible?

I don't know why your insurance company won't allow you to put full coverage on your car. It seems to me they would jump at the chance to ream you for a higher premium when the book value of the car is going to be so low. Yes, I said that. Here's why.

Insurance companies base their collision rating on the blue book value of the vehicle and they rate them according to the repair costs. The blue book value of a Z is going to be very low so they wouldn't have to pay out a large amount should the vehicle be totalled. Yet, the repair rating is going to be quite high so they would charge you a high premium since the age of the vehicle will make the parts replacement costs quite high.

If you can't get your insurance company to give you a full coverage policy based on an agreed replacement value for your car I would suggest you start shopping for another insurance company. BTW, tell them that if they refuse, most companies don't want to lose a customer. An agreed upon value is one that you and the company agree is what the car is worth in the condition it is now as a replacement cost if the car is totalled or stolen.

You might want to check into some of the collector car insurance companies since they all use an agreed upon value in basing their rates for full coverage insurance policy on older, restored cars. The company will probably want to see the car or have pictures of it or possibly have it appraised. Most of these type of insurance companies advertise in Hemmings (I had a couple written down but can't find the darn paper) so a little searching may find you what you need. Yes, you'll end up with higher premiums but at least your car will have the coverage you want.

When I got my Z this past summer my insurance agent would only cover it for the basics required by Colorado ie.. no replacement value. I was told I had to get an appraisal to set the replacement value for the car if I wanted that type of coverage. I am currently in the process of switching companies and now have the car listed and covered (pending underwriter approval) as a show car with full coverage and just about the minimum deductables. This knocked off nearly $300.00/yr for coverage too.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I am a new recent member and have been lurking here for a little while reading and surfing the site and learning everyday. This is an amazing site and I must say the tone of the posts are extremely helpful and adult, if you know what I mean. I am 35 years old, an absolute car nut and don't much care for the drifter, neon, Too Fast & Furious crowd. It's nice to finally find a Z website home to contribute to and enjoy.

This is my first post which I hope will be of a benefit to the topic. I live in PA and coincidentally called today (Grundy) about a quote on a 1973 240Z I am in the process of buying. With a full tort policy, 100,000 liability, comprehensive and collisions with ZERO deductible, for an agreed value of $8,000, UNLIMITED mileage, without checking my record, which is clean anyway, is get this......$52 a YEAR!

They did not even ask if I am married, children, is the car garaged, which is a yes to all three. Anyway, if your Z is not a daily driver, and is a collectible, even though there are unlimited pleasure miles allowed, it is generally understood that you are attending shows and driving on nice sunny days and keeping the car under a cover in the garage.

I also got quotes on some other cars that I currently have classic plates on that I will be switching them over when the information arrives in the mail.

Worth checking out, and you can get a free quote right at their website. Think this is too good to be true, go ahead and check it out for yourself.

Todd

Todd

Welcome to the club. It's great to have another knowledgeable member.

Here in Florida they nail you to the wall if your under 25.

I keep a 4X4 truck under full insurance. Anything with a 4X4 is insured as a sports car. What a bummer. needless to say I'm unable to keep the Z under full coverage. Neither can I get Collectible Car Insurance:stupid:

I never drive the Z. No worries about thieves

Lordbiotree,

"Anything with a 4X4 is insured as a sports car. What a bummer. needless to say I'm unable to keep the Z under full coverage. Neither can I get Collectible Car Insurance."

"I never drive the Z".

I never drive the Z.

OUCH! Now that's a bummer....

Todd