IGNORED

zreplacing Window Squeegees

TomoHawk

Is it possible to re place the rubber squee-gees on the side windows (280Z)? Mine are so hard they feel like metal. I'm afraid they will scratch the windows and they don't touch the glass, so water might be going down there. :disappoin

Any recommendation for a supplier?

thx

The rubber part you are referring to.... Is that attached to a chrome strip that clips onto the outside door frame? Stops water running into door?

If so, I have a 240Z and mine were rock hard, and were scratching the window. It may be possible to replace just the rubber strip, but I ordered a new part from Nissan. Unfortunately you had to purchase the chrome strip as well (came as one piece). From memory it was not cheap, but looks great, and rubber is softer than before.

Chloe at midwestz got me squeegees some from VB. Haven't seen them yet though although Chloe tells me they are pretty much indistinguishable from originals. Can't remember how much they were but not cheap (like most things z related related nowadays?:cry:

regards

Andrew

I broke down & ordered some because I'm taking the car out of storage soon. Don't want to fill up the door with rain. :finger:

Does anyone have rthe FSM (or CD) to email me the part that explains how to remove the chrome strip & attach the new one? Don't think I have time to wait for my FSM CD to arrive. (hopefully only a week).

thx

From what I found in Wick Humble's book the chrome trim can be pried off the top of the door with a flat blade screwdriver (carefully) and the weatherstrip is stapled to the trim. You can either re-staple, glued, or rivet it (I'm just guessing on rivets).

You won't need any glue, staples, rivets or anything because you HAVE to buy the chrome ctrip & rubber as one piece. Unless somebody has access to some catalogs to find a suitable replacement, you're stuck.

The fuzzy strip CAN be removed & replaced tho. You can buy those separately (about 2-3 bucks).

Tomohawk. It's easy to remove those chrome/squeegie strips, like 2manyZs said, just gently pry it off on the outside of the door, in an upward direction, with a large flathead screwdriver by twisting it. You might want to cover the tip of the screwdriver with a shop rag to protect the paint from getting scratched or chipped. After you get it loose you should be able to pull it off the rest of the way with your fingers. I've had both of mine off and it was easy.

When you take the chrome/squeegie strip off, be careful to notice where the window roller is located beneath the chrome strip and try not to let it fall down into the door. If it does you'll have to take the door panel off to retrieve it. Replacement is truly the reverse of removal. Just make sure you line the rear edge of the chrome strip up with the window frame. You may want to do one door at a time so you can refer to the old door for the original position of the original strip.

Good luck, and let us know how the replacement chrome strip/squeegie works out. I'd be willing to bet that most people here could use them.

Originally posted by TomoHawk

Roller? Hmmmmm....

There is supposed to be a roller installed between the top inside edge of the door's outer panel that stabilizes and keeps the window in its correct alignment as it travels up and down. I looks like a skinny barrel attached to a thin sheetmetal clip. The "barrel" was made of wood with a hole through the center where a steel pin holds it to the clip. MSA has them as part number: 30-2151 left side & 30-2152 right side.

Hope this helps,

Rob