IGNORED

Replacing U joints

Brett240

I have changed hundreds of u-joints but don't know what is ment by a spicer u joint. If they are like a conventional u joint you just remove the u shaped spring retaining clip on the outside of the bearing cap and press the bearing down and out of the yoke to the center, forcing the other cap out the back or other side of the yoke. Remove the bearing caps and repeat with the other side. I mark the yoke and shaft so I can assemble the unit as it was. When removing the parts if you dont have a press , use a drift about the size of the cap. A old socket will work but will be ruined. Place the socket or drift on the bering cap and strike with a hammer and force the parts out the other side like a press would have. When assembling just make sure the bering cap is square with the yoke so it dosn't bind or **** when you drive the parts together. I use my vice to assemble the thing rather than pound it to gether. Be sure to lube the unit because they are not lubed at the factory , only enough grease to hold the needle bearings in place. Use chassy lube and only enough to the point that you can see the rubber seal start to flex. If too much grease is forced in it can force the seal out of its grouve and it will leak the grease when it spins especially on the drive shaft. :classic:

• 6 years later...

Old thread!

Anyway, I'm about to do this as well. I notice that the central piece has a grease gun pressure fitting, and there are 4 clips for the individual end caps (with grooves for each). I haven't removed the drive axles yet, so perhaps that will answer my question tomorrow--but these seem like they'll keep from being able to press the caps out the other side of the yokes. Are they for universal usage, or specific to the Datsun application? It appears looking under the car that there are already c clips that attach to the yokes to keep the pieces in place (on the outer edges of the cross shaped piece).

I have a U joint press, so no hammer action, I'll get to do it gently.

I think the clips you are talking about are ones you need to remove to take the joint apart. Also, they are not all the same thickness, as they are used center the joint in the yoke. I don't think the different thickness's are availible anymore- I took my axles to a shop and had them balanced afterward. Mine were really hard to get out, much harder than I remember on the last car I did years ago. I would probably just take it to a shop next time. Also a good time to take apart, grease and clean your slip joint as well, would advise using the FSM on that one, as those parts are NLA as well.

Eric

Harbor Freight sells a tool for u-joint replacement. I used it on the old Jeep more than once with good results - yet to use it on my 240, but anticipate that it will make the job much easier than without it. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38335

I recall the price somewhat less than now listed, but it was years ago & may have been on sale at the time.

Yes... Harbor Freight is where I got the press, just couldn't remember the name off hand.

The clips come in a separate bag in the u-joint box. Perhaps they keep the end caps on one you clip them in place, but I don't see where--there's no opening in the slot for the clip. Dunno... obviously I didn't get to taking them out today; if I get a camera I'll post what I'm talking about. As it is, there's a soft seal where the end caps slip over the rubber seals near the center of the joint (presumably to hold all the grease in, not to keep the caps on).

Thanks for the speedy replies! Will keep you posted.

Post #3 in this thread, Chris's writeup with pictures, will help you guys out a lot. The pictures show where the clips are and how to get them out. The clips are on the inside, unlike most American-made cars. They are probably covered in old grease and dirt, hard to see.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27855&highlight=u-joint

Edited by Zed Head
comma

Awesome. Took pictures before I logged on, so that we were talking about the same thing. This is the Spicer joint (with one cap pulled off to show the seal), the grease fitting, and the c-clip. Looking under the car, it appeared that there were some outside, but Chris' (not confusing at all! ;)) pictures answer the question.

Thanks again!

post-2305-14150810041559_thumb.jpg