IGNORED

No crank

krZing

Help! I got me a 73 240z. I did not have problem starting the car before but recently I when I start the car I only hear a click from the relay.Changed the ignition switch but no improvement. Clean the wires connected to the solenoid no change. But when I jump the solenoid the car starts. I am running out of ideas 

First, what is the build date on the car? It should be on the plate on the driver's door jamb. 

Next, how long was it starting fine before it had issues? Have you or someone else worked on anything before the issue started?

How old is the battery? What is the voltage of the battery when the car is sitting, and what is the voltage at the battery when trying to start the car with the key?

@Mike, could you move this to the electrical section when you have a chance?

9/72. I think last time I started the car was a month ago. the only thing I was working on was the floor pan and removed passenger seat.  Not sure how old the battery but I charged it prior not sure the battery voltage I don’t have the tools to check it but I’m sure Battery is good. Is there a safety neutral switch? Thanks for your reply

Edited by krZing

54 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

If the car started its life as an automatic (or is still currently an automatic), it would have the circuitry for an inhibitor switch.

Is this the "Knowledge Base" promotion part?  How does a person get a thread promoted?