IGNORED

Oh my!

idoxlr8

You know in the end the automatics may end up being more marketable and possibly valuable than the stick cars. These days fewer and fewer people can drive a straight drive. Even the truckers are starting to get automatic rigs. Another 15 years and there will be many fewer manuals on the road, at least in the US. The future investor is gonna want a car that they feel comfortable driving.

It's long been my opinion that although the economy has stalled, there is "money on the sidelines".  That is, there are people with disposable income, but aren't using it unless necessary.

Seems like classic cars in general are taking off.  I purchased a Ferrari 308 a little more than 2 years ago for less than $30K, and right now my model is running around $60K (!!!!).  I purchased my '66 XKE for under $20K about 10 years ago, now worth about $80K.  Just had an offer for $70K that I turned down.

I'm not surprised that Z cars in general are commanding a higher premium.  Great cars that have been underappreciated.  I agree on the comment about automatic cars too, they may not get the same as a manual, but I don't think they'll lag much if the car is of high quality, as noted here.

Most of the comments on BAT seem to agree that even at near $30K it was well bought.  I think the value on that one lies in the fact it is very original and un-restored.  Based on the pictures I would believe the claim of only having 22K miles.  Rdefabri is right, under appreciated cars are now getting the spot light as they were once "affordable"  Once classic Z's get priced out of range the next thing will be 80's and 90's stuff, some of which is already taking off.  I know a guy that paid $10K for an original '90 CRX Si, $10K!!!  Again, original = value.  Don't get me started on Mark 4 Supra's as they have never been affordable.

a 71 frame off restoration

Actually the description is a "rotisserie restoration" -- for obvious reasons. Strong showing for an immaculate car with sensible updates and mods though. FWIW, Mecum also had a tidy '72 4-speed cross the block for $8,000 and an '83 ZX auto for $13,000.

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/SC0515-213475/0/1971-Datsun-240Z/5-Speed/

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/SC0515-220031/0/1972-Datsun-240Z/4-Speed/

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/SC0515-212876/0/1983-Datsun-280ZX/Automatic/