IGNORED

The Z Compared To A British Classic

rossiz

i've been restoring my z out in front of my house for the past 6 months, and i've met a ton of people during that time. they just stop chat about how they had one in high school, or how they dated someone who had one, or how they always wanted one... one neighbor up the street mentioned he had a '67 e-type jag, and while i had my car up on jacks fiddling w/suspension, he came by for a visit. with the green paint, tan interior, "wood" steering wheel, 240 bumper, headlight covers and wire wheels, the z really held it's own in the presence of a $90K brit classic :cool:

it was a hoot to see the two cars together!

there were so many styling cues that were similar - i had never seen the z in that light. don't get me wrong: i have no delusions of grandeur thinking my little $6,500 japanese DD is in the same league as that uber-classic, but i get to drive the snot out of my car every day and his only comes out 5-6 times a year on "special occasions" - i'll take the z any day :classic:

post-30163-14150828776032_thumb.jpg

post-30163-14150828775377_thumb.jpg

post-30163-14150828776781_thumb.jpg

In 1970, one could buy an almost new XKE for about the price of a brand new Z. I passed on the XKE because I was about to move out of the country For a while. When I returned in 1971, I bought the Z I still own. Not sure I would have held onto a Jag for 43 years - or could have afforded to keep one that long.

Dennis

I'm glad you've come to love your wire wheels. IMO they look great on a Z! The design of the Z was certainly influenced by the designs of other lovely 60's era machines, including the E-type, the Ferrari 250GTO, and the Toyota GT2000.

The Jag E-type makes me a bit weak in the knees. I could have bought a decent one for about $6000 back in the 80's, but I thought it had too much rust. In hindsight... But still, I agree with you. There is nothing nicer than a lovely classic car you can actually drive around without being terrified of a door ding or a splash of water. If these were incredibly valuable cars, they'd be no fun at all.

Edited by FastWoman

funny - i never even thought to ask how his jag performs, it just LOOKS so cool i guess i assumed it would handle as well. knowing what i do about my brother's '66 mg and having messed w/brit bikes of that era, i'm guessing wooden brakes, wobbly suspension, fiddly carbs and oil leaks...

but it does look pretty damn amazing.

the c-type has always been my favorite jag - all those voluptuous curves and beautiful detailing, sex on wheels.

Actually the E-type was much better than the average British sports car. As I recall, it had a 4-wheel independent suspension like the Z and disc brakes all around, although the rear ones were very weird, internal sorts of things (a nightmare to re-pad and not good for dissipating heat). Not a bad engine either -- chain-drive DOHC, hemi head, 7 crank bearings. I think it would give you a good run for your money. If it didn't catch fire or have the Lucas systems die, it might just pass you and splatter motor oil all over your windshield as it pulled ahead. You might out-wiggle it on the curves, of course, and in an autocross event, you'd easily pass it during breakdowns, ultimately being first across the line. :)

Edited by FastWoman

With that green paint and those wire wheels, that may be the classiest Z I have ever laid eyes on. I mean I have seen a lot of Zs, but I have never been tempted to call one classy until I saw yours. Sporty, fun, mean, sure, but never, ever once did the term classy come to mind.. until now.

Well played sir.

Did anyone else see the Top Gear episode where they were praising the virtues of the E-type? The one with the band, the planes, the big flag over the side of the cliff? I thought that was awesome! :love:

And hot air balloons... Forgot the hot air balloons. And the wing walkers.

You gotta watch the last minute or so to the very end:

"The Maypole around which the people of this funny little rock in the north Atlantic can gather, to remind ourselves that once upon a time, we really were as great as we think we are now."

Edited by Captain Obvious
found video