IGNORED

What is it? Series I or Series II?

Diseazd

My May 1971 240Z came with the early console and "A" tranny, vertical defrost but no tailgate vents. I have the early angular half shafts and straight mustache bar and short (early) driveshaft. The hole for the shifter is the early opening. I don't have the 240Z on the pillars.The steering wheel is the late type with holes. The engine came with the early E31 head. The tool compartments are late type in the back with metal door hatches. Many have told me this is a transition Z. Carl says January 1971 was the last Series I month, but what would you call this car.....Series I or Series II? It certainly has a Series I drive train, the body is half I and half II. Someone please tell me what to call it LOL! Guy

Series I - Oct. 1969 into Jan. 1971. This model was sold/titled as 1969, 1970 & 1971 Datsun 240Z here in the US.

Series II - Jan 1971 - Introduced by Nissan as the "Late Model Year 1971 Datsun 240Z. This model was only sold as a 1971 Model Year Datsun 240Z here in the US. {due to EPA and MVSS requirements for 71} Produced into 09/71.

My May 1971 240Z came with the early console and "A" tranny, vertical defrost but no tailgate vents.

Hi Guy:

As it should have. The Type B tranny and newer center console wasn't introduced until the 72 Model Year cars - Series III.

I have the early angular half shafts and straight mustache bar and short (early) driveshaft.

As it should have - the rear end was moved 35mm rearward along with the Type B Transmission at the beginning of the 72 Model year.

The hole for the shifter is the early opening. I don't have the 240Z on the pillars.

As it should be - the Series II stil had the Type A tranny - and the fresh air exhaust vents were moved from the deck lid to the quarter panels - - - because they were now the VENTS - they got what we call the Circle Z {which is vented}

The steering wheel is the late type with holes.

As it should be - the holes were put in the steering wheel to weaken it - so it would collapse with the foce necessary to pass the MVSS crash standards - for 1971.

The engine came with the early E31 head.

As it should be - the E31 was used from 69 though the Late 71 Model Year Z's. Series I and Series II.

The tool compartments are late type in the back with metal door hatches.

As it should be - that is a Series II "improvement".

Many have told me this is a transition Z

We saw 240Z's during the transition from Series I to Series II - that had both the rear deck lid vents and the quarter panel vents. We saw transition cars with both the rear deck mounted storage pockets and the plastic tool covers installed. But that was about it between Dec. 1970 and the end of Jan. 1971.

Carl says January 1971 was the last Series I month, but what would you call this car.....Series I or Series II?

Most defiantly a Series II. Should have been sold and Titled as a 1971 Datsun 240Z.

It certainly has a Series I drive train, the body is half I and half II. Someone please tell me what to call it LOL! Guy

The drive train was the same for Series I and Series II. Sound like the body is all Series II - as it has the quarter panel fresh air vents, the tool storage in the rear deck and the steering wheel with the previous indents stamped out - ie the holes.

Most of the changes made to the Series I, Series II and Series III cars are listed here:

http://zhome.com/History/DesignChanges.htm

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Arne
quote fix

Oh yes I forgot the early brake master cylinder with the large reservoir forward.........

The brake master had the front brake resevoir {large one} at the front until Sept. 1971 - then chagned to having the front resevoir in the rear. So that is also as it should be. Over the years because of the retail price difference between the two parts - some people just rerouted the brake lines - so they could use the less expensive master on their cars.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hi Carl......Thanks for clearing this up for me.......I thought there was Series I and Series II.......never knew the 72 and 73 were considered Series III. Now it makes sense. This is the Safari Gold car I brought to ZCON....HLS30 29,832........ A Series II. Regards. Guy

Edited by Diseazd

As it should be - the holes were put in the steering wheel to weaken it - so it would collapse with the foce necessary to pass the MVSS crash standards - for 1971.

Hadn't heard that before. I always wondered why the early steering wheels were solid with just depressions on the spokes and the later had cutouts. I'm always more worried about the steering column collapsing on my older cars during a front collision. Now I know not to brace myself on the steering wheel before impact.

Dennis

As further confirmation, Guy (as if you needed it), my former car (7/71) was also exactly as you describe. Definitely a soi-disant Series 2.

It may be worth re-mentioning here that the "Series" designations are not a factory thing, nor are they in general use anywhere except in North America. These designations are handy constructs of US enthusiasts to simplify the identification of the major variations. This was due to the fact that the early '71 cars were essentially the same as the '70 models, which makes identification by model year inconvenient. So the '70 and early '71 cars are lumped together as "Series 1" cars.

Thanks Arne.....always learning something new. Which brings us to what is the best Z to own. My conclusion is even though the early Series I and II's are the most collectable, the Series III is a much better Z to drive with just a small amount of engine mods to bring it up to snuff.

Any changes that Nissan made on their own (not mandated by regulation) were improvements. So if we ignore the spaced out bumpers and required emission-tuned flat-top carbs, a '73 makes the best driver of all 240Zs. The '73 had all the improvements of all the prior years, plus some of its own. So better transmission, improved diff location, better seatbelts, seat recliners, intermittent wipers, back-lit heater controls, etc. Back-date the bumpers and carbs and a '73 is a great weekend driver. If you insist on total factory (no back-dating allowed), then the next best would obviously be a '72.

Which in no way means the earlier cars were bad, just a bit less good.

...miss seeing your red avatar.
Doesn't seem right to use the whole car like I used to, seeing as how it's not my car anymore. And somehow using my Porsche here doesn't fit either. But I'm tired of the text avatar too....